Bantams!

SmithsCoop41

Chirping
Sep 29, 2023
Hey y'all!

So.....over the last couple of days, I have gotten me some new little bantams. I say "new" because I already had a little golden Sebright bantam hen (Junie,1st Picture) that I bought and had since she was a chick, she will be around 8 months old on the 16th of this month, and I've got another small hen, Pearlie (6th Picture), not sure what kind she is, not even really sure she's a bantam, but she's about the size of Junie, the Sebright bantam. Anywayyyyy, up until about a week and a half ago, them two were the smallest hens I had in my flock, and they've been in the coop with the other chickens of various sizes for awhile now, and they do fine. They do very well together. Well, about a week and a half ago, I got my very first little Mille Fleur bantam rooster, (Tiny Tim, 2nd Picture), and y'alllllllll! Isn't he the absolute cutest little baby?! 🥰 He is so beautiful! Sooooo, if y'all read my previous post, I have finally sold all of my coturnix quail, and so I temporarily put all the little bantams in that coop, because for one, didn't want to mix them with the rest of my flock just yet (30-Day Quarantine Rule-of-Thumb), Yeah I broke that rule 💁‍♀️, and second, I was concerned about the "pecking order" that usually takes place when a new flock member is added to the chicken coop (the size comparison is what I was concerned about). The other little bantams that I got after "Tiny Tim", is the pair of blue Old English game bantams that are around 2 years old (Rooster is 4th picture, and hen is blue one in 3rd picture), or so that's the breed I was told they were, and I think that's what they are, and the other pair was a brown and white bantam rooster (5th Picture), and a bantam hen of some sort (Brownish colored one in 3rd picture). So, now all together, with the ones I already had, Junie and Pearlie, plus those I just got, I have a total of 6 bantams (3 roosters, 3 hens). My question is, has anybody on here ever had little bantams and regular sized chickens co-exist in the same coop together without having any threatening issues between the different sized birds, other than the normal pecking order behavior?, and I will put it out there that I have already acclimated the bantams into the chicken coop with the other chickens, and I stayed in the coop for a bit observing interactions and all, and there was some interaction of one of the bigger roosters to one of the little bantam roosters, but not life threatening, just general behavior when a new flock member is put into the coop (pecking order behavior). Once they settled for the night, (roosting time), I looked in my coop and I seen Tiny Tim up on the roosting bar beside the older flock members without any problems. (and I know general rule of thumb for new birds is to keep quarantined for at least 30 days, and I know even healthy looking birds can still have underlying issues, but I really think these are healthy birds, they run around, eat good, drink fine, etc).

I will add....I didn't realize how much I would enjoy having multiple little bantams running around the coop! :D❤️ They are just so stinkin' cute!

Thank you,

Fellow Flock Owner

Junie.jpg

Attachments

• Tiny Tim.jpg
    Tiny Tim.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Bantams#1.jpg
    Bantams#1.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Bantams#2.jpg
    Bantams#2.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Bantams#3.jpg
    Bantams#3.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Pearlie.jpg
    Pearlie.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 13
Adorable birds🥰. Tiny Tim isn't a MF D'Uccles however, he's a serama
I was told he may have some Mille Fleur coloring, but Idk 🤷‍♀️, I know when I compare him to what google brought up for Mille Fleur standard coloring, he was far off, butttt....I don't really care because he's adorable to this fluffy butt moma 🥰 I'm just curious though, what kind of serama do you think he is?

I was told he may have some Mille Fleur coloring, but Idk 🤷‍♀️, I know when I compare him to what google brought up for Mille Fleur standard coloring, he was far off, butttt....I don't really care because he's adorable to this fluffy butt moma 🥰 I'm just curious though, what kind of serama do you think he is?

Well, he might have some color that looks similar to MF, or MF itself, but that's just colour wise, and I'm not good with color. Jacin is far better. As for what kind of serama he is, I'm going with lower quality Traditional serama. Can't tell if he's an A, B, C, or a micro by looking at him. By his posture, he is either a lower quality boy (as mentioned before) or a mix, though I doubt he has a high percentage of another breed, if any

Well, he might have some color that looks similar to MF, or MF itself, but that's just colour wise, and I'm not good with color. Jacin is far better. As for what kind of serama he is, I'm going with lower quality Traditional serama. Can't tell if he's an A, B, C, or a micro by looking at him. By his posture, he is either a lower quality boy (as mentioned before) or a mix, though I doubt he has a high percentage of another breed, if any

Thank you for mentioning the A, B, C, or micro bit, as I didn't know anything about the different qualities (ABC, or micro). I will be looking this up so I can expand my knowledge on this.

Tiny Tim looks more like a spangle or MF Old English game bantam. The white ear and overall head shape don’t make me think Serama. It would also explain the poor posture for a Serama.

Back
Top Bottom