Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Pics
Thought I might look in I was of the mind cochin where all small much to my surprise I go to a little Mom and pop feed store up the road 10 miles they had 3 I had bought 10 speckled sussex but got 15 so went to pay for the other 5 and they had 3 blue cochin left so when he said they are big full size fowl I bout them now I want more colours
I like both large and bantam cochins. I keep both in separate flocks. I like round fluffy chickens. :)

FSDW OEGBs Sybil and Winston this morning, begging for more pieces of my bagel. :love

View attachment 1949119

For just a bit of context... We got a sudden cold snap last night, and I have a few birds in the middle of severe molts that were not handling it well at all, so I brought them inside until this cold snap is over. Well, the OEGB girls were acting a bit iffy, too, and I figured if I was bringing birds in, I may as well bring them in, too, right? View attachment 1949131

...So, long story short, I have 8 chickens in various pens throughout the house. :oops:
Gosh Sybil and Winston are sooo pretty! I've had eight roosters in my house every night for the past 4 months! They go live on a farm tomorrow!!! I can't wait to get my house back!! (until the next time someone needs to come in!! HA!). Birds in the house are kind of fun! I loved raising my chicks in the house. Those puppy tents turned out to be great brooders! Enjoy your cold snap with a birdie house!

Bantam roost bar question!!
I see quoted a lot that 2x4s with the 4 inch side horizontal are the best for chickens so that they can get their feet under them and stay warm. What about bantams? My roost bars are much smaller :( But I'd happily switch them out. What are people's opinions on this? My current roost bars are probably sold as 2x2s but in actuality measure just 1.5" across. Here is a photo of my sleepers at night. They are still babies and have only been successfully "roosting" for about three weeks now. Their favorite sleeping position before was the dog pile! The coldest it's been is 29*F. There is a third roost bar which they also use but didn't on this particular night. One thing I love is that most nights my two boys roost next to each other!! I am cruel and enjoy taking photos of them roosting in the dark with the flash...oops.
IMG_5617.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom