Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Here are two of my regular cuddlers... gotta get more photos of this!
View attachment 1981572
I'm just realizing I am wearing the same sweater in this photo as my profile pic! This must be my chicken sweater! I took this photo today during the egg congratulations party!! So funny. I do think my chickens mostly like my red t-shirt. They do peck my green clothes a lot. At what point do they realize that their human is not a pinata? I'm laughing every day as they peck at my clothes incessantly.

Ok you all convinced me ... Bantams it is ... Seramas will be my switch over breed.
I almost stole this Serama from a show I went to last month. Prettiest one I've ever seen!

Granted, I know zero about Seramas!
IMG_5657.jpg

okay, so I wiped them with a warmly wet paper towel. Was that bad? I'm still unsure about best practices with that! I understand there's a bloom that protects the eggs. I also understand you want to use warm water if you do clean them. Is it best to just leave them as-is? I'm just thinking of the future when I give them to other people!!

Always great to get the first eggs. Congrats. :celebrate

If you store the eggs it’s better not to rinse with water. Using a paper towel to get the dirt of is good.

Never use dirty eggs to hatch.

How come the are dirty? I would try to let the hens lay in a clean nestbox.

I'm just realizing I am wearing the same sweater in this photo as my profile pic! This must be my chicken sweater! I took this photo today during the egg congratulations party!! So funny. I do think my chickens mostly like my red t-shirt. They do peck my green clothes a lot. At what point do they realize that their human is not a pinata? I'm laughing every day as they peck at my clothes incessantly.
Chickens seem to think something with a red color is something they can eat. Try red shoes/boots. :gig

95BB8250-8AD8-453B-A9BA-2F42878F619B.jpeg
Let me introduce my flock. I have taken a picture of most of my flock today when they where free ranging.

Left: Cookie a Millefleur / naine de Tournaisis with too much brown feathers for a standard type.
Front: Pino, mostly Dutch lavender (a bit too heavy and bold for a real Dutch).
Janice, a golden mixture (pullet from april) in the middle.
Ini, our golden Dutch in front of a black Dutch hen (cant see if it is Black or Pearl)
And Tammie a red lavender Dutch on the right.

One black Dutch and another Tournaisis (Tel) are missing in the picture.

You can see the coop (wood snd windows) en the run (Dark grey frame) behind the chickens.

The Dutch are 4 and 5 years of age now and don't lay any eggs as soon as the days are shorter then 12 hours.
The Tournaisis are 1,5 years old now.

Back
Top Bottom