Bantam chickens Denagard dose

Surreal

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
Middle Tennessee
Hi everyone,
I have two bantam chickens-Spangled Old English/Silver duckwing mixes , rooster and hen that I separated because they each had 1 eye closed and they were itchy and scratching their eye. The hen's eye was swollen but not the rooster and they presented a few days apart with the symptoms. They live in the house but now in a different enclosure.

I have been treating with antibacterial wipes, flushing the eye and using Terramycin Antibiotic Ointment twice a day for almost 3 weeks for the hen and 2 weeks for the rooster with no improvement in either bird. It hasn't gotten worse which is good, no crusty eye or nares and the swelling went down until normal for my girl but they are both still holding an eye closed the majority of the time and they do still seem to be itchy/scratching their eye. It hasn't advanced to the other eye for either bird. I don't believe this is something in the eye since I have two with the issue. No worms found and no lumps or knots around the eye.

I have no vets within 100 miles that will see poultry so I am at a loss. I was advised it is probably time to elevate the treatment with Denagard. I bought the 12.5% liquid concentrate. The dosage is confusing me quite a bit. Two bantam chickens are not drinking a gallon of water so mixing it into a gallon of water doesn't seem like they would get a proper dose. Getting conflicting information about creating a stock liquid first and using that to dose the water where others are saying just dose the water with the concentrate. Bottom line, I am not sure how to dose the water or how much water to mix up with how much medicine. Can anyone help me with this? The chickens are about 14 weeks old, a smidge under 1 lb per bird I think.

I would use saline or water to wash the eyes, not antibiacterial wipes. Use a quart waterer, or just mix a quart of water in your gallon waterer with 1/4 of the dose. My info says it is 2 ml per quart or 8 ml per liter of the undiluted Denagard. The chickens will drink the proper dosage if they are drinking normally. Here is some reading about Denagard:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/denagard-dose-for-3-chickens-how-to.1442100/

Thank you. I am using the wipes for the skin around the eyes and flushing with veterycin optic and then adding the ointment. Sorry, I did say that awfully weird in my message, didn't I lol.

Back
Top Bottom