bantam chicks dying

brandonstokley

Songster
Oct 4, 2022
Crawfordville, Florida
hey there,

my partner ordered 20 bantam chicks from hoovers that arrived today. 10 mille fluer d'Uccle and 10 porcelain d'uccle. everyone was alive when we got them home, but we have already lost two of the mille fluers. I have some olandsk dwarfs that I hatched out on Sunday that are doing fine in the same brooder so it's not husbandry. wondering if bantams have a harder time with transit given their size. I know 2 out of 20 is only 10% but I see another mille who doesn't look great. eyes are closed and chirping loudly. there are plenty out and about, eating and drinking.

what gives?

three dead and one
I would have to guess it's shipping stress. Was there any delay in shipping, or temperature fluctuations during the duration from hatchery/distribution center to your house or pick up point?
there was no delay, they came from hoovers which I think is in Iowa or Minnesota and I live in lewis county Washington( smack dab in the middle between Portland and Seattle).

they were sent with no heat or the gel food.

we have lost 7 of the 20 in 48 hours .

I think that's its though, everyone else is looking good.

again its not the husbandry, the olandsk dwarfs I hatched out a few days before these arrived are doing great. one is getting a little pasty butt but other than that no issues

didn't loose any though the night, everyone left is looking good.

I think im through it. that was rough.

we emailed hoovers this morning. waiting to see what they say. if nothing else they should be aware that without heat and gel food this time of year for the midwest to the northwest to expect high rates of mortality.

Back
Top Bottom