Bantam chicks when can. They go outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Legendchicken, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Legendchicken

Legendchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently got 8 day ol baby bantam chicks. I was wondering how long aproxamently until i can move them outside. I am also wondering if anyone has experiance with free ranging bantams and is it a death sentance tp them or not? [​IMG] :confused:

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Once they're fully feathered is the best time to put them outside, sooner if it's warmer. The free ranging depends on the predators in your area

3. Legendchicken

I have hawks but my land is 20 acres its a combination of open feild cover hedgrows trees and a pond

4. LouisianaFowl

LouisianaFowl Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    New Orleans
    I have the same problem I just ordered chicks for the first time at mcmurry and I don't know when I should let my bantam cochins out

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can start taking your chicks outside on nice days as early as two weeks. Just be sure there's no cold breezes to suck the body heat out of them and watch for them to start to chill then bring them back indoors.

Later on, when you move them into their coop and let them free-range, if you provide as many places for them to seek cover in those open areas, they will be able to evade hawks much better. Even something as simple as chairs and small tables out in the open will give them somewhere to run under if they spot a hawk and don't have time to run all the way back to the hedgerows.

Bantams have just as good a chance against hawks as standard chickens, maybe better since they've so small and fast.

6. Legendchicken

Ok thanks! I have an assortment of bantam brreds ranging from cohins to duccles easter eggers and bared rocks as well a standarn run of the mill leghorn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by