Bantam chicks with standard chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Hen, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Can you keep them together? They will all end up in the same coop/run when they get big enough to go outside. So I was just wondering if it was okay to do it now. They had them separate at TSC - probably for pricing reasons. I just don't want the bigger ones to hurt the bantams.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I keep my bantam chicks and standard chicks together. I havent had any problems. [​IMG]

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I have the same question! I hatched bantams and standards and I just want to know if they can live together

4. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Thanks! I put them together this evening. There was a bit of pecking, but nothing serious. It seems that the bantams really stick up for themselves! I got these chicks 2 days ago and had them separated because it seemed like the bantams were wanting to eat the pine shavings. But so far tonight no one has tried that!

5. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    My bantam chicks and standard chicks are all together.

My brooders have been cardboard boxes. I had the bantams in one cardboard box, and the standards in another. I moved them into a different, larger cardboard box at the same time, so that box was new to all of them. No problems, maybe since it was a new environment to all of them.

I do think my next batch of chicks will be housed in a wooden brooder box. The cardboard box idea only seems to work for a week or so for my chicks!

6. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I currently have mine hatched together.

7. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    To me, I think that my chooks act like dogs in that the smaller ones over-react to make up for their size. They are always the ones to try to fly off when I put my hand in the brooder. I have a feeling that my bantams will have no problem with my standards.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My 4 bantams do fine with my 3 standards I got from TSC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by