bantam cochin behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandrachx, May 4, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    the bantams i just recently got have been doing a peculiar action i'd like to understand. while in the cage (3x4 wire dog crate) they duck their heads down under another cochin to get by them. it's as if they are trying to get by one another without getting their heads pecked. i have found them with all their heads under another chickens body so that all i see is a circle of hen backs and butts... also, i put their waterer up on a small childs footstool and they have taken turns sitting under the stool. when i move them to the coop with my other girls, should i put an area like the underside of the footstool for them to hide under? is this something all cochins do? another posting suggested making a run area where the bantams could get into but the bigger girls couldn't. don't really have room in the coop for private quarters but want to keep the peace. ideas?

2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Well I have two one month olds, a bantam Cochin and Standard Cochin/Brahma. The mix always does that to the little one but it seems as if she comforting herself because she lies down and stays still. She does the same thing to me, she will put her head under my armpit and a go to sleep. A lot of animals do that, I think to keep there head warm or to block out the light to take a nap or when they are scarred. My moms cat would do that at the vet.

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    They sound like they've been pecked before and are protecting their heads. I would be concerned putting them in pen w/standards. Bantam cochins are VERY laid back and don't tolerate bullying well at all.

4. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    i got them from a farm that had lots of everything, so i'm guess it is a safety reaction. we're creating a safety area for escape in the run if they need a break from the big girls. i'll be getting a couple of silkies soon, so i think it will be necessary for peace to reign... now to work on how to create a safe roosting area for them....any ideas?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They may be able to fly a little when they are young but once they get older their roost had better be pretty close to the ground or you could put a ladder for them to climb up. Mine have a ladder and they usually go to the third rung about 3 feet or 4 feet off the ground but they have to climb. I am thinking it would probably be best to have a corner with a small old ladder and maybe some sort of fencing off so they can get away from the others and also roost there

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by