Bantam Cochin Pullet or cockerel?

HanwellChickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Hanwell, New Brunswick
I have 2 of these cuties that I can't tell for sure what sex they are. They are 12-13 weeks old, have fairly large combs at wattles but not as red as my black cochins ( they are definitely boys). I don't see any sickle feathers yet, and the feathers around their tails seem rounded.
Chicken #1

Chicken #2

looks just like my 2 cochin bantam hens, though i didnt have them when they where 3 months. I would call the 2nd one a pullet, hard to tell on the first one. I'm not expert...just my opinion. They are really pretty! I love my Cochin bantams :)

The first one looks like a pullet, but better photos (like a side profile photo) would help be sure. The second bird is definitely a cockerel.

Chick #2 is 100% a cockerel, and I'm thinking cockerel on bird #1 as well, but I can't see its breast (if its breast is black, its a male too).

Chick #1 look identical to chick #2 except for the leg coloring. Chick #2 has white legs and has mobility issues. Has a hard time moving around and has been named Gimpy. It can move fast if being picked on by another hen. We will be keeping him regardless of gender as I have grown attached to him.

I bought six of the Cochins and only one is female, poopy.

I'm just curious about the significance of the black breast. Is that just in the cochin partridge? Or all partridge chickens?
With the partridge color pattern (in all chickens), the males have a black breast. In contrast, the females have a salmon/reddish colored breast. So if the Partridge Cochins in question have a black breast, then they are certainly cockerels.

With the partridge color pattern (in all chickens), the males have a black breast. In contrast, the females have a salmon/reddish colored breast. So if the Partridge Cochins in question have a black breast, then they are certainly cockerels.

Ok thank you for explaining that. I'm guessing that doesn't apply to silkies tho? I've not noticed it in mine anyway.

Back
Top Bottom