Bantam cochin rooster with standard size hens?

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have 12 chickens right now, 10 hens and 2 roosters. Both roosters get along very well, roost together at night and do not fight. They were hatched together but different breeds.

My bantam cochin rooster is so small and adorable, but has zero luck with the ladies. I mean nada. He tries, they push him off and chase him away. Otherwise they all get along fine, only minor issues when he tries to mount them.

So my question... Well he be ok with the standard size hens, or does he need bantam hens of his own? I'm wondering if his frustration is what is leading him to be a bit of a jerk (to people) lately. Nothing major, I'm concerned about him.

Would it help to get him hens his size? If I do that, would it necessitate a new coop and keeping two separate flocks? Tbh I'm not sure how I'd manage that but I'd love some input. Thanks!

I have no helpful advice to offer but I’m in almost exactly the same situation so I’ll be watching this thread!

At least I'm not alone! 😂 This little guy is my daughter's absolute favorite, and getting rid of him is not an option. I keep hoping he'll manage with the hens he has, but so far no luck 😞
We love our little bantam roo too! But yes, he’s having zero luck with the ladies and I’m starting to feel bad for the poor guy. Luckily he’s still very sweet-tempered, but I could see that changing. You said yours is potentially becoming aggressive?

We love our little bantam roo too! But yes, he’s having zero luck with the ladies and I’m starting to feel bad for the poor guy. Luckily he’s still very sweet-tempered, but I could see that changing. You said yours is potentially becoming aggressive?
I mean, it's pretty low level. He'll stump his feet a little and I have to keep from laughing because it's so cute. He didn't want to go back into the coop and he pecked my hand, but he hasn't hurt me. Whether that's because he isn't trying or because he's too little to do much damage I dunno. I'm concerned that he's a bit more than he was pre-puberty, and I'm wondering if it will just keep increasing just out of frustration.

I have a bantam boy (Serama/bantam leghorn cross) in with my girls (so I don’t ever worry about him harming them, unlike my bigger boys who are in their own spaces). He is most loyal to the game hen he was with exclusively for awhile, but I have seen him mate with a few of the others. The game hen has a raggedy baldish spot on the back of her head, but nothing worse. And at first, I was worried the girls would beat him up (he’s just so itty bitty!), but nope! He bosses them around like any standard roo :lau . So I wouldn’t worry about him getting hurt by the hens and his frustration may very well arise from his, um, shortcomings...;).

I have 12 chickens right now, 10 hens and 2 roosters. Both roosters get along very well, roost together at night and do not fight. They were hatched together but different breeds.

My bantam cochin rooster is so small and adorable, but has zero luck with the ladies. I mean nada. He tries, they push him off and chase him away. Otherwise they all get along fine, only minor issues when he tries to mount them.

So my question... Well he be ok with the standard size hens, or does he need bantam hens of his own? I'm wondering if his frustration is what is leading him to be a bit of a jerk (to people) lately. Nothing major, I'm concerned about him.

Would it help to get him hens his size? If I do that, would it necessitate a new coop and keeping two separate flocks? Tbh I'm not sure how I'd manage that but I'd love some input. Thanks!
I tried bantam rooster with hens. Didn’t go well, let’s just say that. I would get him some bantams hens definitely

I have a bantam boy (Serama/bantam leghorn cross) in with my girls (so I don’t ever worry about him harming them, unlike my bigger boys who are in their own spaces). He is most loyal to the game hen he was with exclusively for awhile, but I have seen him mate with a few of the others. The game hen has a raggedy baldish spot on the back of her head, but nothing worse. And at first, I was worried the girls would beat him up (he’s just so itty bitty!), but nope! He bosses them around like any standard roo :lau . So I wouldn’t worry about him getting hurt by the hens and his frustration may very well arise from his, um, shortcomings...;).
Thanks! I should have updated this but completely forgot. In the last week or so it seems a couple of the hens have decided to stop fighting him and he seems much happier for it. I think I will do get some bantam hens, but for now he's doing pretty well. 😃

Back
Top Bottom