Bantam Cochin thread

Pics
I'd bet his skin is also dark. He's also missing a considerable amount of feathers on his feet. I should only be able to see the first toe and the very inside of the middle toe.

Like this:
20201105_194743.jpg

The problem with yellow skinned black birds is that the excessive melanin used to maintain a completely black bird usually causes a black wash on the shanks.
In leghorns the standard even makes some black wash acceptable with the black variety. In theory it makes sense to breed to a yellow shanked bird to at least produce some good chicks. Problem is its useless unless its a clean yellow shanked black bird and even then in my brèeding it's been very limited success.

Is the standard for all bantam cochin colours yellow feet? How about beaks, I notice my two splash girls have black spots on their beaks (reasonable shape and feathering but probably not show quality).
According to the SOP, it would be a disqualification to have a complete absence of yellow on foot bottoms.

SOP says nothing about beak color.

Oooh, I love bantam Cochins!! One of my top three breeds for sure! I am working on building up a good group of silkie-feathered Cochin bantams for breeding, and I have some smooth-feathered Mottleds from Meyer Hatchery that I got on a whim a few years back. Love my little round sassy fluffball chickens :love

Unfortunately, I seem to be having some technical difficulties uploading pictures of my silkied Reds... 🤔 Here is my growout trio of silkied Black Cochin bantams, though, and the surprise recessive white that popped up in the same hatch. My handsome man Gus and his girls, Myrtle, Zinnia, and the recessive white girl, Dandelion:

View attachment 2380104View attachment 2380105View attachment 2380106View attachment 2380103
Absolutely stunning!!! I love these!

If I was going to get feathered footed breeds again, these are my favourite.

Thanks! ❤️ I do adore my fuzzies 😊

Re: the terms 'silkied' and 'silkie-feathered' from the other thread. Sometimes I feel like 'silkie-feathered' is less confusing (sometimes people miss the 'd' on 'silkied' and assume they're Silkie mixes, especially with the Cochins because that's a common cross) so I'll use it instead, but 'silkied' is the more common term for non-Silkies with silkie feathering here as well, and it definitely rolls off the tongue easier! 😁

Back
Top Bottom