Bantam Cochins!! Pullets or cockerels?

COsexychicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
SO...

I ordered a straight run of bantam cochins and they're about 4 weeks old. Please help me identify gender--this is my first time with chickens--and also confirm the breed of the last chick posted. I have my guesses, but I want more votes before I re-home any possible roos. (I can only keep 1 max.) *Please excuse their sandiness. They like to spill their water and then play in the sand.

#1: Red Frizzle - Tries to fly out of cage every chance (he? she?) gets.

#2: Black (Mottled?) Frizzle - Used to be very submissive, but (he?) is getting personality (and a comb) very quickly!

#3: White Smooth - Very docile, (she?) likes to nestle into a sand bed

#4: Black Frizzle - He?

#5: White Frizzle - Smallest of 'em all. Least feathers of them all too... (She?) likes to hide under our EEs

#6: Red Smooth - Likes to run up to other chicks all big-chested, esp. the red frizzle. Acts like roo, but no real comb growth yet...

#7: White Smooth 2

#8: White Sizzle?? Supposed to be bantam cochin and looked exactly like other white peeps BUT has FIVE TOES! Fluke or possible genetic history with silkie? Possible sizzle? (He?) likes to fly at me through the cage.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
SO...

I ordered a straight run of bantam cochins and they're about 4 weeks old. Please help me identify gender--this is my first time with chickens--and also confirm the breed of the last chick posted. I have my guesses, but I want more votes before I re-home any possible roos. (I can only keep 1 max.) *Please excuse their sandiness. They like to spill their water and then play in the sand.

#1: Red Frizzle - Tries to fly out of cage every chance (he? she?) gets.
Pullet

#2: Black (Mottled?) Frizzle - Used to be very submissive, but (he?) is getting personality (and a comb) very quickly!
Roo

#3: White Smooth - Very docile, (she?) likes to nestle into a sand bed
Pullet

#4: Black Frizzle - He?
Roo

#5: White Frizzle - Smallest of 'em all. Least feathers of them all too... (She?) likes to hide under our EEs
Unsure on this one

#6: Red Smooth - Likes to run up to other chicks all big-chested, esp. the red frizzle. Acts like roo, but no real comb growth yet...
Pullet

#7: White Smooth 2
Pullet

#8: White Sizzle?? Supposed to be bantam cochin and looked exactly like other white peeps BUT has FIVE TOES! Fluke or possible genetic history with silkie? Possible sizzle? (He?) likes to fly at me through the cage.
Roo. I'd say a possible sizzle as the only white birds I know of having 5 toes are silkies and sultans and your chick has neither a top hat or "hair".

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

love.gif
Thank you! We think so too :)

Photo update: 5 weeks old! These three are still confusing me, while the others are becoming much more obviously roo/pullet. All guesses are appreciated
big_smile.png

Chick #1 (Same as chick #1 in 4 week photos):

Chick #7 (Same as chick #7 above):

Chick #5 (same number above):

So far I seem to have won the unlucky lottery... I got 8 chicks and only 1 very obvious pullet
hmm.png
The rest are obvious roos or unclear/hard to tell.

Photo update: 5 weeks old! These three are still confusing me, while the others are becoming much more obviously roo/pullet. All guesses are appreciated
big_smile.png

Chick #1 (Same as chick #1 in 4 week photos):

Chick #7 (Same as chick #7 above):

Chick #5 (same number above):

So far I seem to have won the unlucky lottery... I got 8 chicks and only 1 very obvious pullet
hmm.png
The rest are obvious roos or unclear/hard to tell.
I know it's been a few years but I was wondering if you could post what genders your chicks turned out to be after all, since I have a batch right now that look similar to all yours, they are only 18 days old right now but are already starting too show tiny comb appearances. I also have 3 more bantam frizzles that are almost 6 weeks old and im sure I have one pullet but unfortunately still on the fence about the other two. Thanks!

I know it's been a few years but I was wondering if you could post what genders your chicks turned out to be after all, since I have a batch right now that look similar to all yours, they are only 18 days old right now but are already starting too show tiny comb appearances. I also have 3 more bantam frizzles that are almost 6 weeks old and im sure I have one pullet but unfortunately still on the fence about the other two. Thanks!
I doubt very much they will respond as they were last seen here in 2013.
Try posting individual photos of your birds in a new thread when they are minimum 4 weeks old. Bantams cochins tend to comb early and you should be able to tell by then. Cockerels also get wattles early. 😊

Back
Top Bottom