Bantam cochins + silkies all acting rooish

DawnMarie74

Songster
11 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Hoschton
Hi there,

I couldn't help myself and splurged on some Christmas hatched chicks from a local breeder. (Merry Christmas to me!) I bought 8 in total, 5 bantam cochins and 3 show quality silkies. It's the most I ever spent on chicks and I'm freaking out a bit because 7 out of the 8 are ALL acting like roo's already. All but 1 silkie are chest bumping, going wild, hopping on top of each other. Have I got all roo's? Do girls exibit this kind of behavior too?

Pretty much all of my chicks acted like roosters-in-training. The cockerel was the one staying out of it. It's just pecking order being established. It's more about individual ambition than gender at least until the hormones kick in.

Thank you for your replies. I sure hope that's the case. I've had chicks before and from what I remember the ones that chest bumped always seemed to end up being roos. To see all of them doing it, is driving me crazy. I'm going to try and upload a video, (though they weren't doing the bump in it) hope it works.

Thank you for your replies. I sure hope that's the case. I've had chicks before and from what I remember the ones that chest bumped always seemed to end up being roos. To see all of them doing it, is driving me crazy. I'm going to try and upload a video, (though they weren't doing the bump in it) hope it works.

i see at least on little black and white cochin that has a nice red comb to indacate hes a cockerel i might have seen 2 but cant be sure. my little mille fleur d'uccle pullet always chest bumped everyone in the brooder

Yeah, the black and white cochin is for sure a roo. The rest are questionable. I'll post an updated video next week to see how they changed.

Back
Top Bottom