Bantam coop

Poetspets

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
Upper Michigan
Hello I just received this coop as a gift. It has a 10x6x6 covered run and an enclosed area under the coop for the chicks as well. The chicks will be allowed to free range when I am home during the day, but we do live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so it will get cold in the winter. I am looking to keep an assortment of bantam hens. How many would you suggest? https://overezchickencoop.com/product/medium-over-ez-chicken-coop/

It says it can house 10 chickens, sometimes makers of coops are a little off on their recommendations. Bantams are smaller though so maybe 5? We live in Michigan also (lower peninsula) and I know how many predators are in the U.P..... be extra careful free ranging during the day, threats from above happen so quickly.
Best wishes to you!!
:frow

I think you could put more than 5 bantams in there. My 2 bantams are so tiny, a Sebright and a D"Uccle, they aren't even half the size of the standard hens. Even their poop is tiny, they take up very little room. You could start with 5 and see what you think. Good luck!

50 – 1/4” L x 52 – 1/2” W x 62 – 1/4” H
= 16 sq feet. (EDT: Assuming that measurements are taken from the outside, as they often are.) Bantams take up 2-3 sq feet of floor space, depending on breed and aggression. With Sebrights, I might go as high as ten, with silkies, as low as 4 birds.

Last edited:
I think there's something to be said about not just square footage, but cubic footage. With that much height, you could put poop shelves under the roosts and have floor space beneath those, double decker living.....
double decker coop.png

Last edited:
I have Belgian d'Uccle and Easter Egger bantams with my standard birds, and would only have five or at most six bantams in that coop. Crowding is bad, and winters are long and snowy.
Chickens hate snow! You will do better if you also roof that entire space to keep the snow out.
Bantams are wonderful, but they are more likely to be taken by hawks, and all chickens are predator bait. You will also have bears, probably, and so electric fencing will be a good idea too.
Mary

I think there's something to be said about not just square footage, but cubic footage. With that much height, you could put poop shelves under the roosts and have floor space beneath those, double decker living.....
View attachment 1348974
Thank you I love the idea of adding a shelf! My city allows 6 chickens no roosters so I am excited that I potentially could have six. I am currently brooding seabrights, splash silkies, Black silkies, and Bantam Easter Eggers. 2 friends will be taking any rooster or hens that I will not be able to keep. So far I am most attached to 2 seabright hens, at 4 weeks they just have so much personality :)

I have Belgian d'Uccle and Easter Egger bantams with my standard birds, and would only have five or at most six bantams in that coop. Crowding is bad, and winters are long and snowy.
Chickens hate snow! You will do better if you also roof that entire space to keep the snow out.
Bantams are wonderful, but they are more likely to be taken by hawks, and all chickens are predator bait. You will also have bears, probably, and so electric fencing will be a good idea too.
Mary
The run has a roof but I hope to be able to add a solid roof and side panels in the winter so the run is still usable space:)

Back
Top Bottom