"Bantam" Coturnix Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chris102, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX
    Does anyone have these? James Marie Farms offers "bantam" Coturnix Quail. Is anyone familiar with this variety? Ive contacted James but have never heard back. I'm wanting to order some just out of pure curiosity. An internet search didn't turn up any info on them. I'm wanting to know if the "bantam" variety is an actual mutation that causes the small size, or if they have been selectively bred down in size. Curious about average weight for the variety as well.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. hooliganbros

hooliganbros Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    I'm new to this. But....would that not be a "button" quail? Is a button quail coturnix?

3. hooliganbros

hooliganbros Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    Or wait ....Are they talking about a bantam Jumbo Brown Coturnix?

4. Chris102

Chris102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Conroe, TX
    No they aren't Button Quail...totally different species. They're bantam Coturnix/Japanese Quail.

5. ahuff

ahuff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2016
    Sonora ca
    I just seen these birds they look cool if like to get a few to just to see how they are

6. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    I hatched some eggs from a person who may have gotten their eggs from James Marie Farm. At three weeks, the little 'girl' is about 1/3 - 1/4 the size of the other quail. She is the normal wild color. At first I thought something was wrong with the tiny bird, but looks perfectly normal, eats, drinks, feathering just fine. Holding her own with the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by