1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Delaware? Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rileysgranny, Oct 12, 2009.

1. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I was reading the thread about Delawares and didn't see any mention of bantams. My little cockrel looks like he is a Delaware, and that's what I've been telling people he is, but would like confirmation. The BYC form is the only chicken family I have. No one I know well locally has chickens. Most think I'm a little nuts to have chickens and love them so much.
    Here he is when I first got him in early April:
    [​IMG]

In May:
    [​IMG]

End of June:
    [​IMG]

Last Night (Oct. 11) at approx. 6 mo. old:
    [​IMG]

As you can see from the pictures, he started off really kind of ugly and gangly. But I think he is beautiful now. I have him advertised for sale and want to make sure I state his breed correctly. Thank you for your help.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    All I have to say is SCORE! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, there are some bantam Delawares and to quote someone I know, they are as rare as hens' teeth! Dick Horstmann has some, I think.

4. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    wow hes amazing

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Like they say Out of Ugly comes Beauty. Congrats

6. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

rileysgranny, where did you get such a unique bird? i might just have to scout out such a place...

also, what part of TN are you in? i'm not ready for a rooster yet, but maybe in a few months we could do some business!

7. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Great to know that I wasn't off base about what he is. If he is rare, maybe I need to keep him and try to find him a mate, but DH wants to keep the cochins we got and raise them. I do think he is quite beautiful, even if he won't let me get too close to him. I'm particularly fond of the ones I've raised from babies.
    atlargeintheworld - I got him at TSC in Fairview, TN on April 11th. He was "between 2 days and a week old" when I got him. Poor little thing had a pasty butt that I had to clean up on more than one occassion. He was so tiny I was afraid he wouldn't make it. It was kind of an accident that I got him. I guess he picked me because he jumped into my hands when I was picking chicks out of the bantam bin. I figured if he was that anxious I needed to take him home too. He's a good roo to the cochins I have him in with. He was a late to develop. We thought he was a hen for a long time - I'm fairly new at this chicken thing - until he walked over to the corner of the pen, looked out at me and crowed as if to say "see, I'm a rooster!"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow- I would NOT sell him. Find yourself a hen and sell chicks & eggs!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wow! He is one beautiful roo!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He is a handsome guy, for sure. He has a few flaws (too long and low, too "horizontal", droopy wing carriage, but he has very nice color in plumage and legs--can't see his comb well in the pic) but, hey, he's a bantam Del! I hear that Texas Poultry is breeding those now and they are the only ones I've heard of except for Dick Horstmann in PA. If you can find some pullets for him, not so easy to do, you'll have a start with them. Even with flaws, this breed is so handsome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by