Bantam died, now another is sick

Thank you, and I know you are right on contacting the vets. The problem is that it is a bank holiday here today so most of them are only open for emergencies, and also not familiar with chickens.

I have tried the veterinary diagnostics but the phone lines don’t go through, so I’ll get back on google to find somewhere else.

My small flock (of 6 now) does free range in the garden so there is a possibility of wild birds bringing something in, but we have not made any changes to the flock for nearly a year.

I thought I did smell an unpleasant odour from the recently sick one, but my mum can’t smell it, so maybe I am imagining. I’ll look up mycoplasma MG in case maybe it’s that.

Thank you again for your help.
It does sound like either MG or coryza if there is a smell. My girls recently had an outbreak of MG. One almost died because she was choking on mucus but I managed to get it out and save her. It could have come from wild birds. If you choose to treat and keep them then i suggest not free ranging anymore. I know some still do but since my girls are now carriers and i chose not to cull I'm trying my best to keep them from spreading it. I treated with tylan to help with the symptoms but they will be carriers for life so its wise to close your flock now.

Back
Top Bottom