Bantam duck acting... broody??

Devildollx

Chirping
5 Years
May 26, 2017
Seattle
This is my sweet bantam duck Beans! She's around 7-8 months old right now, and for the last two days she's gone from her usual very high-energy/spunky/often trouble making bahavior to very, very chilled out, very quiet and sleeps a lot of the day next to me now. What really has me questioning all this though is that this change in behavior has been accompanied by her taking her favorite toy (a little stringy homemade thing with shiny pieces on it that she loves) and pushing it underneath her every time she lays down, just like an egg. If I pull it out from under her she'll just use her little bill and push it back beneath her again! All this has me wondering if maybe she's feeling a little broody and is preparing to start laying eggs soon?!

20190705_050059.jpg

What an adorable picture:love sounds to me like that maybe just what is going on with her. Make sure she is getting extra calcium along with her feed. Oyster shell placed in a bowl close by her feed will help give her any extra her little body may need. She’ll only use the OS as she needs it so no worry she’ll OD on it.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will pick up some oyster shell for her today at the feed store. I'm also noticing too that when she's not sleeping she's become quite testy lately, doing these VERY loud quacks (that scare the shit out of me lmao) and generally just being kinda bratty... And she absolutely does NOT want my (male) roommate touching her at all right now, when before she would be quite affectionate with him....

Hormones! You’d think she’d like affection from anyone they know but they can sure be moody. Hopefully the eggs will start coming soon and she’ll be a little more mild mannered. Let us know.

This is my sweet bantam duck Beans! She's around 7-8 months old right now, and for the last two days she's gone from her usual very high-energy/spunky/often trouble making bahavior to very, very chilled out, very quiet and sleeps a lot of the day next to me now. What really has me questioning all this though is that this change in behavior has been accompanied by her taking her favorite toy (a little stringy homemade thing with shiny pieces on it that she loves) and pushing it underneath her every time she lays down, just like an egg. If I pull it out from under her she'll just use her little bill and push it back beneath her again! All this has me wondering if maybe she's feeling a little broody and is preparing to start laying eggs soon?!

View attachment 1891957
That’s so precious, her toy is her little baby! Do you think you could get a video of her doing that? It sounds so cute!

Back
Top Bottom