Bantam Duck Page

I think it becomes a matter of what you enjoy looking at I guess. My son was really interested in the EI ducks. Does anyone know much about them? Are they easy to keep, easy breeders, natural brooders, any health problems, etc.. Thanks so much.

Quote:
I have always heard that East Indies and Wood Ducks are really good broodies to use....we have runners and I thought I might try them to set call eggs, Walt have you ever tried Runners?

Hi Jerry, I had Runners for years, and none of mine would set. Not one. I had crested and non-crested.
wink.png

I have heard Muscovies are excellent setters.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have always heard that East Indies and Wood Ducks are really good broodies to use....we have runners and I thought I might try them to set call eggs, Walt have you ever tried Runners?

I really like the BEI ducks..never had one, but they're what got me going on the self-black Calls! I'd like to have a pair, but I really want to stick to just Calls, no other poultry at all. But every time Lou Horton rolls his out at a show, the temptation is almost too much!

Last edited:
Quote:
Really? We had all our hens setting on eggs last year.....we got our start from Jim Konecney, and they do well at the shows. They are walking tobacco sticks.

I've been doing some thinking about calls and egg hatching. I know that certain breeds of dogs must be delivered via c-section because their hips are too small to pass the pups. And that some breeds of pigeons must be handfed because their bills are too small to feed the babies.

Since calls have too small of a bill to hatch on their own most of the time, perhaps the way to get a good hatchrate on calls is to deliver them by c-section. The ones that survived to hatch time, but couldn't hatch are the ones with the shorter bills and cobbier bodies in general, so it wasn't that they weren't lively birds just that weren't able to hatch because of the way they are with their bodies. They would have the look that is desired in calls, but is sadly their downfall at hatch time.

Just my brain grinding gears and just a thought.

my husband said the exact same thing 10 min ago when we were discussing this years game hatching plan, he even said, what about them growing babies in a peatry tree dish, why come we couldn't once that egg was developing and strong go a head and take that outside hard shell off?? or Why couldn't we grow it in a lab incubator per say in a peetry dish. I am doing some reading now on this and breeders thoughts on this, but your right we got to think outside this box. Good thinking Sumatra503

Quote:
The magpie calls are my sons project, he wont let me near them...he does have the blue and whites but no extras. He should have some this fall or late spring to sell.

Back
Top Bottom