gig.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
clap.gif
D.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif

i love my snowy mallard! She's not the prettiest or cutest duckling ever, but they are very pretty adults. I wanted a small duck that was not a call or east indie... I wanted something quieter than a call, but still small enough to live in my townhouse, lol.... Hence the snowy mallard. I actually contemplated getting a mini appleyard, but they are hard to come by. The snowy mallard has a similar coloring, so i went with that ducky instead.

I ordered some girls & a boy ducklings....They had to do a separate order cause they weren't available when my other order was shipping....rats! But anyway, I have some coming & I hope these guys don't fly away. Are they the fly away type?
tongue.png

I ordered some girls & a boy ducklings....They had to do a separate order cause they weren't available when my other order was shipping....rats! But anyway, I have some coming & I hope these guys don't fly away. Are they the fly away type?
tongue.png

Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint, the joint of a bird's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. The bones removed when pinioning a bird are akin to removing a person's hand just beyond the wrist (through the metacarpals). Like declawing, the morality of modifying an animal to suit human needs is debated.

Pinioning is often done to waterfowl and poultry. It is not typically done to companion bird species such as parrots.

The website Jubilee Acres gives a description of how to pinion a wing in their larger article on pinioning:

"We use a sharp pair of docking scissors. You take one wing (we do the same one on all birds). Extend the wing; on the end of the wing there is a joint. There are two pieces of wing attached at this joint. One piece is very small and the other a lot bigger. You need to cut off the larger piece at the joint, leaving the smaller piece in tact (sic). We cauterize all cuts as that stops any bleeding and the birds recover much faster."

"We pinion our Egyptian Geese - otherwise they would not stick around very long. It is best to do this before they are four days old. We have done one at a few weeks of age but it is more stressful on the bird and they tend to bleed more and defiantly (sic) need to be cauterized."

A non-surgical alternative is clipping the feathers, though it only lasts until feathers are replaced during the moult, however the flight feathers are only replaced once every year.

This comes from this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinioning

Back
Top Bottom