Bantam EE runt? Help for little Wilbur? Photos

echip

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
8 days ago my order of 15 EE Bantams arrived from Cackle. Cackle added two extras so I have 17 darling peeping little bantam EEs. One was a bit smaller than the others, but EEs can vary quite a bit in size so I wasn't worried. At first.
However, as the others grew normally, little Wilbur (like the runt in Charlotte’s Web who grew into SOME PIG) stayed small. And since they are all bantams to start with, that is very small.
Wilbur eats a lot and drinks well. He likes the other chicks and they like him. However, he doesn’t engage in their more rough and tumble games. No flying leaps into the mosh pit for him. Wilbur likes to sleep standing up, or under the pile of chicks.

Here is a photo of all the chicks 24 hours after they arrived. Aren’t they cute! Wilbur is the little yellow chick with a light greenish mark on his head. I marked them so I could see for sure that each one had learned to drink. He is in the upper left corner area directly under the yellow chick with light blue on his head and between two black chicks. Even then, you can see his is standing upright. They are all about 3 days old.
59881_dsc00863.jpg

Here is Wilbur by himself at 3 days old. Even then his little eyes are kind of squinty, not round and open like the other chicks. Also he stands a little bit like an owl, kind of upright. Notice how he has kind of dark skin around his eyes, like bruises, only I’m sure he wasn’t bruised.
59881_06_turquoise_1.jpg

And here he is now, at 9 days of age with a normal sibling. The other chicks weigh more than twice as much as Wilbur.
59881_dsc00961.jpg

What do you think? Is he going to make it, but just be small?
Is there anything I can do to help him? He is just the sweetest little thing. Please help.

spoil him rotten with electrolytes -wet mash-scrambeled eggies..etc...poly-vo sol drops ( no iron) in his water too. It just happens sometimes and the best you can do is help the little guy out with what you can provide-they just need a tad of pushing to eat and drink goodstuff to give them a jump with energy too. good luck-

Thank you for your advice and support. I appreciate it. I am doing everything I can.

Little Wilbur is still hanging in there. He (or she) is eating and drinking and having normal poops, but still not growing. He prefers to be snuggled up to as many of his littermates as possible, and he can run very fast when he wants to, which isn't very often. The other little bantams are starting to play with each other to determine pecking order and Wilbur has no part of that. No one is picking on him at all, which is good.

I hope he makes it. He's like the bantam of a bantam. Bantam squared? I just love the little guy. I think all of them are almost two weeks old now.

Little Wilbur is still about half the size of the other chicks, but he looks perkier now, and he feels more solid and chunky. His little eyes are bright and round. I'm feeling encouraged!

Here he is with a fellow bantam chick. They are both a day over 2 weeks old. Don't you think he looks better?

59881_purple_and_wilbur_3.jpg

I thought my bantam runt (peewee) was getting enough to eat but apparently she wasn't. I hand fed her a couple times a day, for about a week and she "to life".
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom