Bantam egg color question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jwatts, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hi, i own 3 bantams and just recieved my first egg. I have 2 Mille Fleur's and one golden sebright, my egg is white. My question is does anyone know where the white egg came from? I seen it as soon as i got home from work but don;t know what chicken had it.thank you
  2. KristenR

KristenR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Centralia, WA
    Hard to say - bantam egg color is not as set-in-stone as some of the larger fowl. Seems like a lot of bantams lay off-white or close to white eggs, including seabrights and some strains of Mille Fleur d'Uccles. Usually the d'Uccles lay a more pink-ish shade though. I think the egg color of my last seabright hen I had (15 or so years ago) laid a white egg. You could always go palpate your girls and see who has the fullest abdomen and the reddest comb. If they are young and just maturing it may be a hint as to who your first layer is.

Kristen Ramsdell
  3. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank you,i didn't know bantams laid pretty much all kinda white eggs. Thanks for the info
  4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have silkies (true bantams), porcelain Belgian d'uccles, and have hatched out sebrights from Linda's (gryeyes) flock. All lay white to creamy/off-white eggs. The only ones we have that don't lay white are the bantam EEs.

Of note, my isabel silkie did hatch from a slightly tan/pinkish silkie egg, but even that was mostly white.
  5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    From my bantam Cochins I get white eggs and tan eggs. Some are a darker tan than others even within the same variety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by