Bantam egg? (PIC added)

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Well, I've been hoping our 4 "Henny Pennies" will start laying soon. I lost my hatch sheet with dates so can't recall exactly when they hatched, but around November. Is it too early?

I've become pretty familiar with our 9 mature hens and their eggs. I got an egg today that I've never seen before. It seems a little large for a bantam egg, but is maybe half the size of our biggest mature hen eggs and is a different TEXTURE than I've seen come from our big girls so far. It's also imperfect with a calcium deposit and the pointy end is a bit rippled/thicker on one side. I'm dying to crack it open.
lol.png
I will add one of our roosters watches over the 4 of them very carefully, having grown up with them (he hatched about the same time, different breed, and developed a crow maybe 8 weeks ago) but I have not seen the Pennies mating. Not that I'm always watching...

Does this sound at all like it might be one of our Pennies? At least I think they were a November hatch.
hide.gif

I might have to go fry me an egg....

Last edited:
Just an update. I cracked it open...normal yolk that wasn't particularily small, but the white spot that becomes a bullseye if fertile was TINY. The white was like WATER.
idunno.gif
Very abnormal white. It smelled off too. I added about 9 other eggs to the pan and some cheese and we have three very happy dogs right now.

So my guess is either a bantam first egg with watery white, or some weird smallish egg of weirdness by one of our mature hens, although I'm not sure why the shell would be a different color/texture/pattern all of a sudden.

Back
Top Bottom