Bantam flock with multiple roosters and cockrels

I know this is bantams, but I am having issues with 6 almost year old cockerels plus the 3 juveniles (cockerels) there are two favorite hens that get way more attention than others. One Goldie separates her self from the group the other I had to put in with the grow outs.

Are bantams different? If so, really hope so. Would like to keep a cochin, oegb and sebright cockerel if its possible. They where all raised together with large fowl. The large fowl cockerels are becoming a problem tho they keep trying to mount anything that moves. They will be moved out soon once the new pen goes up this Wednesday.

I know this is bantams, but I am having issues with 6 almost year old cockerels plus the 3 juveniles (cockerels) there are two favorite hens that get way more attention than others. One Goldie separates her self from the group the other I had to put in with the grow outs.

Are bantams different? If so, really hope so. Would like to keep a cochin, oegb and sebright cockerel if its possible. They where all raised together with large fowl. The large fowl cockerels are becoming a problem tho they keep trying to mount anything that moves. They will be moved out soon once the new pen goes up this Wednesday.
I feel like the bantams are easier to manage and that they get along with each other better. Also, my standard rooster is much more tolerant of them. I'm only planning to keep one standard and the rest bantam from here on out. The summer heat is just too hard on my large flock so I'm going to stop hatching standards.

I feel like the bantams are easier to manage and that they get along with each other better. Also, my standard rooster is much more tolerant of them. I'm only planning to keep one standard and the rest bantam from here on out. The summer heat is just too hard on my large flock so I'm going to stop hatching standards.
My Phoenix cockerells get along well with them. They do take the heat better.

So far no fighting here. A few scuffles. Goliath is very tolerant of the bantam cockerels. The two bantam roosters are less tolerant of them. None of the hens have shown interest in them. They are terrified of all the hens, bantam and standard. They are trying sneak attacks, but that hasn't netted them any love thus far.

All is good right now. I have 3 flocks roaming the yard. Goliath, big standard brahma mix, and 27 standard hens of various heritage.
Porter, my little oegb, 3 hens, 4 ( 12 to 15 weeks) pullets, 2 (12 week old) cockerels, and 2 chicks (1 of each gender, I believe.
Mr. Biggs, a frizzle cochin, 3 hens, 9 to 11 weeks -7 pullets, 5 cockerels, 2 chicks (I believe 1 of each gender)
Mr. Biggs can be a jerk towards the other roosters, but mostly hides from them. So I believe he is just a fearful sneaky bully.
I have a gang of 4 cockerels 16 weeks old in a pen of their own due to unseemingly behavior. They have not impressed me. They were harassing my oldest hen, my smallest hens, and Mr. Porter doesn't care for them at all. They will probably be leaving the flock.
I've had to break up two fights/shuffles. Both were due to hens trying to invade others' territories/nests. The roosters got involved but were easily redirected.
I'll keep updating.

I got a straight run of bantams, Speckled Sussex. I wound up with 7 cockerels and 3 pullets, so I ordered sexed bantam Dominiques. I knew that the pullets were going to get worn out, not to mention having possible fights between the cockerels, so I rehomed all but the two best looking Sussex cockerels.

I now have 2 roos (18 weeks old) and 7 pullets (18 and 12 weeks old). They seem to get along.

Tonight one of the roos (Samuel) grabbed a Dominique pullet by the neck and attempted to mount. She was screeching, trying to get away when the other roo (Joel) grabbed Samuel by the neck and mounted HIM!

Samuel then screeched, broke away, and ran.

Joel has just demonstrated who is top roo.

And peace has returned to the flock. For now.

If the roos can't coexist I will rehome one.
Two months later...the Sussex are almost 7 months old, Dominiques are 5 1/2 months.

Joel is still Top Roo.

Samuel is still coexisting.

The pullets are laying.

I'm hoping the harmony continues.

Update:
Run A
Roosters
one standard brahma mix, Goliath 2 1/2 & 27 standard hens
Mr. Biggs bantam frizzle cochin & 3 hens, 2 cockerels & 4 pullets (5 mo+ old), 3 cockerels & 3 pullets (5 mo + old), 1 cockerel & 1 pullet (4 mo.+)

Run B
Mr. Porter oegb & 3 hens
2 pullets (7 mo), 2 cockerels (6+ mo), 1 standard and one broody bantam pullet (6mo+), 1 cockerel 4 mo and 1 pullet 4 mo.

Run A anex
4 mixed bantam cockerels (7 mo) housed seperately.

Everything is going well so far. Occasional mild scuffle between the females of seperate groups. No longterm fighting or injuries.
The little 6mo old gamehen mix in Coop B has gone broody and is under the floor of a coop in Run A. She comes out daily and eats with her own flock.
I am very impressed with Mr. Porter (old english game bantam) and his male offsprings, one is a sebright mix, the other a cochin mix. They work together to keep their hens, pullets, and the younger cockerel (this is Mr. Bigg's offspring so I hope he will fit in with the flock) in a group. They run the other hens out of their area without being aggressive. If I had to raise just one bantam breed, I'd pick OEGB.
Photos of some of Porter's flock
The boy on the right is Ebenezer, he is a cochin mix
20231013_122642.jpg
20231013_122639.jpg
20231013_122901.jpg

The one above is Ivory, she is a oegb and sebright mix
The one below, Dovie, is a oegb cochin mix. She is the one nesting right now.
20230930_085447.jpg

The girl in the background is a sebright and brahma mix, very pretty but shy.
20231013_122740.jpg

This one, Nyx, is a brahma & cochin mix. She is standoffish too.
20231013_122747.jpg
I rehomed the brahma rooster. He wasn't aggressive but wasn't friendly either.
20230831_071119.jpg

Here are some photos of the other flock(s)
Mr. Biggs, the red frizzle cochin is the father of all but one (she hatched from Porter's girls)
Biggs isn't very good at keeping his flock together. I think Junior will head his flock when he is older.
20231010_133229.jpg

Mr. Biggs in the foreground, Junior Biggs in the background. They roost together.
20231010_133332.jpg

Above: 4 mo+ cockerel Horton & sister, Red Who (Falina's hatch)
These two stick close to Junior's flock
20230913_172809.jpg

20230913_172804.jpg

Junior's flock (not including the 4mo olds) has 3 pullets and 3 cockerels. They are 5.5 months old.
20230909_185420.jpg

The mama hens. Almost always broody. L to R Melinda, Salina, Falina
20230902_184400.jpg

Salina hatched this group of 2 males & 4 females (plus a female that is permanently indoors due to a crippling injury)
They stay together and roost seperately. There are 3 frizzle females, one smooth female, and two smooth males.

And just because he is so handsome and sweet, here's Goliath
20230910_182938.jpg

Goliath's father, Doris died last spring. He was an excellent rooster but did not get along with other roosters. Goliath's grandmother, Lucy 8yo Langshan, his hatch mother, Maris 6yo, and his
bio mother, Lil'Beth 4yo all live with him.
His latest daughter, Doris (named for grandfather) lives with her bantam mama. She is part welsummer.
20230926_185336.jpg

She looks blue partridge as does her aunt, Cookie, and her half sister, Flower.
20230716_130212.jpg

Cookie, foreground and Flower, in the nest

Back
Top Bottom