Bantam flock with multiple roosters and cockrels

Busy (left) and great-grandmother, Lucy (right)
20230824_081729.jpg

Busy is the daughter of Goliath with Claudine.
Claudine is Lucy's daughter with Goliath's father's hatch brother/ from Lucy's 1st hatch (Magpie is around 7 and still alive, lives with a friend of mine)

In my Serama flock I currently have 7 hens, 2 roosters, and some chicks growing out. The 2 roosters get along great, but I had 2 other roosters that I sold and the dominant rooster Tiny Tom would chase them and did not like them.

Things are still going well.

Porter (the oegb) and his sons, PJ & Ebenezer are wonderful. They will protect all the females, of all flocks, when they are being harassed by the younger cockerels. A cochin mix frizzle boy is housed with them. He is a bit of a loner but doesn't bother any of the pullets or hens.

Goliath (the huge brahma mix rooster) is also good about protecting his own and the bantam girls. He doesn't give chase, but if they run to him, he'll run the cockerels away.

Mr. Biggs (frizzle cochin) is okay but not great. He protects his cochin hen and a mixed hen. Otherwise he let's his boys run wild.

The big coop was a little chaotic in the evenings. I've had to seperate two of the boys from the main flock for almost a week. Last night I let them roost in there again and they behaved. I hope they've learned a lesson, but experience tells me I'll need to keep a close eye on them.

My boys harassed my hen only flock until I locked all my chickens up and separated my older hens from the cockerels and pullets.The cockerels chased the hen only flock farther away from the coop which caused them to almost be caught by a bobcat. Lesson learned.

I think having experienced roosters, with non-aggressive personalities, is the key to keeping the hens protected, and to training the younger cockerels.
One thing I've decided is that brahmas and oegb are my favorite roosters. It's doubtful that I'll ever have another flock, but if I did, I'd hatch those two breeds.

I think having experienced roosters, with non-aggressive personalities, is the key to keeping the hens protected, and to training the younger cockerels.
One thing I've decided is that brahmas and oegb are my favorite roosters. It's doubtful that I'll ever have another flock, but if I did, I'd hatch those two breeds.
My hen only flock are bossy older hens who mated both cockerels after I released them. I didn't have a problem until I released the pullets that were laying age. My hens started chasing the pullets and fighting over nest boxes wouldn't lt them eat,etc. Both cockerels started chasing them away to protect the pullets initially

Back
Top Bottom