Bantam- Head nodding, listlessness, green-mustard poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizandoli, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lizandoli

lizandoli New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Hi All,

Just joined BackYardChickens.

We are concerned as our white bantam (Rita) seems to be behaving oddly:
    - Her head appears to nod frequently as if she is about to fall asleep
    - She does not appear to move about her cage as much as her cage mate (rarely dustbathes etc.) nor does she eat as enthusiastically as her cage mate
    - She appears to be sedentary a lot of the time
    - She has been sleeping outside and will not come in to roost very often (the roosting area is quite small but she used to use it)
    - I saw a greeny-mustard coloured poo in their pen with the consistency of pea soup.

We have just inherited her along with a brown silky bantam from our recently moved neighbours, we do not own other chooks.

We do not know how old they are or much about their history, but here is what we do know:

They have been kept in a rather small enclosure for two years with their main diet being pellets, and have often had algae build up in their water container. We have also noticed that wild birds have been eating from their food bowl.

Since inheriting them we have been building them a larger run (which they are not in yet), also ensuring they have fresh water and a greater variety of greens and scraps in their diet to accompany the pellets.

We are thinking that a vet trip is in order but were wondering if those of you with more experience may have some thoughts or know of possible diseases we should ask our vet about.

Thanks very much,

Liz and Oli

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    check for cocci.

3. lizandoli

lizandoli New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    We had Rita put down today, after only owning her for three weeks.

When I checked on her this morning she was lying on her side with her claws curled.

The vet said that she had a neurological problem- probably a brain tumor and that it would be cruel to prolong her suffering.

He said the "nod" was her trying to find her bearings. The green poo was because she hadn't been eating properly. She had been masking the severity of the problem for as long as possible.

Just thought I would give a follow-up incase anyone has the same problem with their chook.

We are very sad for her and for little Gert her cagemate who is now all alone.

Liz.

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Sorry to hear about poor Rita.
    RIP Rita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by