Bantam help needed - WHAT are we? Red chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Jun 16, 2009.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Every morning I wake up thinking today IS the day I will know……when I lay my head down at night, I must confess to myself that day was NOT the day. [​IMG]

Hopefully [​IMG] TODAY is.

Ok, my Bantam dilemma. WHAT are these cuties? They are just starting their 7th week of life and are incredibly s-l-o-w to feather. Believe I have a cockerel and pullet. The research I have done has left me with two possible choices (BUT I am certainly wrong!). Could they be RIR or Cornish?

I DO know they are Bantams. (click on the pics for a larger photo)

Here is Woody – believe he is a roo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Woodstock – believe she is a pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This a group shot from when they were first brought home.

[​IMG]

Here is a bit of an older pic – duckling is a homegrown call mutt and the reason for the Bantam purchase – Peepers (duckling) needed friends.

[​IMG]

ANY help is fantastic. Thank you all. [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Where did you get them?

They are Rhode Island Reds the slow growing feathers might be a number of things (how much protein is in the feed you are useing?)
    Chris

3. HorseFeatherz NV

RIR - thank you. Have noticed the feathers are starting to get lots of black barring/markings.

Bantams were a feed store purchase. The feed store orders from Privett Hatchery. I did try calling the hatchery to ask about them and was told "we raise 35 different RED bantams" - so they were not alot of help (who KNEW there were 35 different red bantams [​IMG] .

All chicks are eating Purina flock raiser (protein at 20%) free choice, and when outside (approx 7am to 8pm) have access to greens (grass/weeds) and misc bugs they catch.

They do not have broken, missing or plucked feathers - all development looks good, blood feathers have good growth, it is just they are slow (rest of flock has feathered out but these two). All chicks get a bit of "billing" nestling from the duckling Peepers but nothing destructive to the feathers/shafts.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    They are both males. And this is probably the reason for the slow feathering. I have noticed in the RIR that I have raised, the males tend to feather much slower than the females.

5. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Looks like nice, dark RIRs [​IMG]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

Both Roos - wow - out of 5 chicks, only one pullet. [​IMG] Can I pick 'em or what! (I pointed them out in the brooder as to which I would take home)

7. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Huh....I didn't know there were RIR bantams. Learn something new every day LOL [​IMG]

I would have said some sort of cornish, I have several bantams that look like yours (different colors, although I have one red one like yours) and they are all cornish, I thought. Mine are all pullets, and how I did that I'll never know, but they also seemed slow to feather in.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    All my RIR feathers grow slow roosters and hens I think its a breed thing..
    Chris....

9. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Sorry, I am not sure if you are being serious or not, but there are indeed RIR Bantams! [​IMG]

10. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Sorry, I am not sure if you are being serious or not, but there are indeed RIR Bantams! [​IMG]

I was being serious! LOL, I had no idea. I thought that the only RIR's were full sized birds. Neat! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: