bantam help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl1991, Aug 14, 2007.

1. farmgirl1991

farmgirl1991 Cooped Up

Aug 4, 2007
    my bantam is a mille fleur and hes only one week old he has a watery swollen eye i think its infected i put a warm compress on him what else can i do i have some terramycin and was wondering if i could use that if so how much would i give a bantam thats one weeks old if i cant medicate him is there anything else i can do
    sorry to post here but nobody was answering on emergencies this is an ermergencie im worried about the little guy

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I can't help you much that way, but thought I'd bring the thread back out into the loop. Hope some with more wisdom can help you out!

[​IMG]

3. silkiebeginer

silkiebeginer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    I don't really have any advice either. But I wanted to add that i had an eye infection not long ago, the DR told me to never put warm compresses on eyes. To use cool or cold ones. She said its not good to heat the eye up especially when infected but its best to cool the eye down a degree or 2 to help the cells fix themselves.

Jennifer

4. farmgirl1991

farmgirl1991 Cooped Up

Aug 4, 2007
    when yours got an eye infection did it heal ok when you used cold compresses?

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I whacked myself in the eye several weeks ago with a water Iris stem that I didn't see coming to attack me. Did the cold compress and it was amazingly helpful...2 days later, I couldn't tell that I'd messed my eye up. If it worked that fast for me I can't see why it wouldn't work with chickens.

Dawn

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I would treat it the same as a human eye, warm salt water on a cotton ball,
    hope she gets better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by