Bantam Hen Attacked by Larger Hens, Now Off Balance

jayytee17

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Hi ya’ll!

This morning, one of my Bantam chickens was ganged up on by my two Rhode Island Red hens. They have lived together for over a year and have never been aggressive with each other.

After I shooed the bigger hens away I took the Bantam out of the pen and held her and let her drink some water. She was drinking and eating just fine when offered food and water, but when I set her down and she tries to walk, she is very wobbly and off balance, often catching herself with her wings to keep from completely toppling over.

I checked her over thoroughly and she has no open wounds or visible injuries that I can see, but I am not sure what is causing her to be so off balance all of a sudden.

Could she just be stunned or in shock from being attacked? I have since separated the bigger hens and put the Bantam back in the run with her other Bantam buddy and they are sitting together in the shade.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this situation! I feel so helpless because I don’t know what to do =( Thanks in advance!

I do not have experience with this and therefore cannot answer your questions, but I wish you luck with your bantam and hope someone else will come along soon to help you.

Hi ya’ll!

This morning, one of my Bantam chickens was ganged up on by my two Rhode Island Red hens. They have lived together for over a year and have never been aggressive with each other.

After I shooed the bigger hens away I took the Bantam out of the pen and held her and let her drink some water. She was drinking and eating just fine when offered food and water, but when I set her down and she tries to walk, she is very wobbly and off balance, often catching herself with her wings to keep from completely toppling over.

I checked her over thoroughly and she has no open wounds or visible injuries that I can see, but I am not sure what is causing her to be so off balance all of a sudden.

Could she just be stunned or in shock from being attacked? I have since separated the bigger hens and put the Bantam back in the run with her other Bantam buddy and they are sitting together in the shade.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this situation! I feel so helpless because I don’t know what to do =( Thanks in advance!
Could be shock or a few good hard pecks to the head.

I would also consider there may be a reason why the others attacked her if they have lived peaceably together for over a year.
Get some photos of her droppings.
Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last time she laid an egg?
Could she be broody?
Any lice/mites?
Is her crop empty/full, etc.? Check it now and monitor it, but especially check it first thing in the morning (should be empty then).

I would focus on getting her hydrated. Offer some electrolytes or if you have them some vitamins that contain E and B1. Make fresh cool water available as well.

If it's really hot where you are, make sure she's able to move around well enough to get into shade when needed.

Give her a little time and see how it goes.

If you could get a short video of the bantam walking around, and upload it to YouTube with a link here? It sounds like she may be injured, or might be showing some neurological symptoms that might be a sign of Mareks disease. With the size difference, though, an injury certainly could be possible.

Something very likely wrong with bantam that impacted her behavior before attack. The changed behavior can then make so other birds do not recognize her. Isolate her and watch closely for additional issues.

Could be shock or a few good hard pecks to the head.

I would also consider there may be a reason why the others attacked her if they have lived peaceably together for over a year.
Get some photos of her droppings.
Does she lay eggs? If so, when was the last time she laid an egg?
Could she be broody?
Any lice/mites?
Is her crop empty/full, etc.? Check it now and monitor it, but especially check it first thing in the morning (should be empty then).

I would focus on getting her hydrated. Offer some electrolytes or if you have them some vitamins that contain E and B1. Make fresh cool water available as well.

If it's really hot where you are, make sure she's able to move around well enough to get into shade when needed.

Give her a little time and see how it goes.
This is great advice, thank you!!

If you could get a short video of the bantam walking around, and upload it to YouTube with a link here? It sounds like she may be injured, or might be showing some neurological symptoms that might be a sign of Mareks disease. With the size difference, though, an injury certainly could be possible.
I can definitely get a video!

Something very likely wrong with bantam that impacted her behavior before attack. The changed behavior can then make so other birds do not recognize her. Isolate her and watch closely for additional issues.
Sounds good, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom