Bantam hen still gurgles yearly

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So I originally posted about this in a different forum but recently I started getting more and more worried about her. She is my oldest girly (we don’t know exactly how old since she is a rescue) but I do know that when we first got her she was extremely sick. She made a recovery and we thought she was gonna be ok. Well around this time last year we had to take her to the vet because she was gurgling/wheezing and I was really concerned. The vet said they didn’t hear anything, kept her for 24 hours, said they still didn’t hear anything and sent her home. She later got better. Later again in December she became gurgly again while laying on her eggs (she hatched them all on term) and got better by herself again. Now she is once again super gurgly and wheezy. My mom thinks she will pull through again but I am scared for her. I have been doing my best to feed her tiny minced garlic and Yakult (a yogurt drink). All her behaviors are normal. She is still pretty energetic and eats and drinks normally. Her poop looks fine if that matters. I just don’t know how to help her. I would love advice on this situation. I’ve attached a file of her gurgly noise so I hope that helps.

Respiratory diseases in poultry are usually lifelong and chronic — meaning that they carry / host it in their bodies forever. So depending on the disease, symptoms will reappear whenever the bird is stressed, causing them to become symptomatic again. Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS), and Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILT) are chronic diseases that can cause the gurgling that you hear every year. There’s no cure, but there are treatments available if it’s bacterial.

Back
Top Bottom