Bantam Hen thinks she's a Rooster?

ChickensRsmart

Songster
Aug 25, 2021
Sometimes I think she's also trying to be a Turkey. Is there something wrong with her? She's laying eggs 2 or 3 a week and I think she's dealing with a low-grade wet pox infection...she's got some black spots on her comb too and they've been there for at least a year...although some of them look like they're fading away...and I don't think it's from frostbite (not cold enough here). She still makes a slight "clicking" sound when she breaths at night, but she seems healthy otherwise.
Is she a transgender chicken? She was born in California, but her parents are from MO... :)

Hens crow, it's not really a gender specific trait, though males do it more and are known for it. They do it especially if there's no roosters around or they have a hormone issue stemming from a reproduction issue.
Thanks nuthatched.

She the only hen I've ever had that crows/crowed. She doesn't have her own rooster, but there's a rooster right next to her (other side of the poultry netting).

When you say a reproduction issue, does that potentially include an infection that can impact the reproductive tract?

Thanks nuthatched.

She the only hen I've ever had that crows/crowed. She doesn't have her own rooster, but there's a rooster right next to her (other side of the poultry netting).

When you say a reproduction issue, does that potentially include an infection that can impact the reproductive tract?
It can be a sign of issues but not always, if she gets long male-type feathers, that's a sure sign of infection or another issues, if it gets that bad, you usually have to put them down.

It can be a sign of issues but not always, if she gets long male-type feathers, that's a sure sign of infection or another issues, if it gets that bad, you usually have to put them down.
Thanks again. I will keep an eye on her feathers - assuming you mean her tail feathers.

She's definitely got some respiratory issue (which I think most of them will also infect their reproductive systems)...and she will lay an egg every 2 or 3 days - not every day. But then again, when I first got her, she wasn't laying at all - just kept her warm and improved her diet...

Thanks again. I will keep an eye on her feathers - assuming you mean her tail feathers.

She's definitely got some respiratory issue (which I think most of them will also infect their reproductive systems)...and she will lay an egg every 2 or 3 days - not every day. But then again, when I first got her, she wasn't laying at all - just kept her warm and improved her diet...
I mean her saddle [either side of the tail] and hackle [neck] feathers, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom