Bantam hen with swollen + featherless wings

Clucking_Caramel

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
I have a little bant aracauna in my room (she is almost one year) and when she was little she had splayed legs. We did the splints but didn't work so she lives in my room.

To get around she would fly. Over time her feathers broke off her wings and they have grotesquely swollen. I wrapped her in town to prevent her from hitting her wings on furniture but she wiggles out. I tried to make her a chicken sweater without wing holes but she is just too agile.

Currently they are slighty bleeding and are super inflamed. She does feel thinner than she normally does, so I have fed her cooked egg, corn and an onion bagel (would not recommend for a bird pooing in your room!)

We cannot put her with the others for they try to kill her.
1522714206668-949412695.jpg

She really needs to be on chicken feed for the balanced diet and vitamins and minerals needed. Her toes look curled under. You can start chicken feed such as Flock Raiser, and you can give her vitamins with riboflavin to try and help her. Poultry Cell (not NutriDrench since it does not have riboflavin) is good, and her dosage would be 1 ml daily. I would have to agree that she may not have a good qualityly of life. It is hard to cull these chicks when they are young, but they may always require special care.

Thank you for the advice! I plan on keeping my baby. She loves cuddles and often falls asleep in my arms. Besides, she already lives in my room lol!

Also, Caramel is a year old now. She's just a little bantam. She is obviously given cracked corn like the outdoor birds.

Cracked corn will not supply a balanced diet. Do you feed her chicken crumbles or pellets for most of her diet? If not, I would get some at your feed store. Corn has 7% protein, while chicken feed has 16-20% protein depending on the type, plus all of the minerals and vitamins, as well as a balance of nutrients. Corn is king of like candy to chickens.

Last edited:
Don’t be embarassed, now you know. If she does not lay eggs, I would buy Flock Raiser, since it has more protein. For a week or two you may also want to put some vitamins in her water, or use a product called Poultry Cell 1 ml daily, just to get her built up. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom