Bantam identification?

Yeah, they have single combs. Any idea what hatchery? They're an option at Cackle, but relatively uncommon when I searched out of curiosity
Not sure...but they also had lavender orpingtons & AC available...not typical feed store varieties. And combs on singles are so all over the map so it'll be a while before I know gender though the fact that their combs are bigger than the other cochins' and they're feathered out the least doesn't bode well. If I end up with all black cochin pullets and a RIR pullet I'll be bummed as I was most excited about the chipmunks and was hoping the lightest black chick was birchen or blue. I've studied them now in daylight and I'm certain they're not blue :/ Though I'm still hoping the one might be birchen. Doubtful but Cackle does carry them. I'm now wishing I'd looked to see if any of the barred chicks had feathered feet. Would have loved a barred cochin but all the head spots seemed large so I didn't even consider them.

Last edited:
If they are single combed then they are Silver Penciled Cochins. Which would extremely uncommon from a hatchery. Let them grow a bit and post new pics. I bet they are Brahmas
If they are SP cochins, is there a chance they're feathering slowly because of a 'tardy gene' i saw referenced somewhere online? I know Brahmas are slower to feather out so I'm not too worried then about the small degree of feathering. But if they're cochins...ugh. if this tardy gene is a thing, is it in both males and females or should I prepare myself that my 2 chipmunks are roos?

I've never heard of a "tardy gene" myself. Bantams feather out fast in general because they mature faster than large breeds. Bantam Brahmas may feather a little slower than bantam Cochins but not by much.

I've never heard of a "tardy gene" myself. Bantams feather out fast in general because they mature faster than large breeds. Bantam Brahmas may feather a little slower than bantam Cochins but not by much.
This person had a similar question...a variety of bantam cochin chicks. She suspected penciled chicks were boys due to slow feathering but neighbor also had a penciled cochin that was even further behind. Ultimately, her suspected roos were pullets. Gives me hope! Perhaps SPCs just feather out really slowly. How old would you guess mine to be? I've never had bantams before. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ated-photos-at-4-weeks-old-on-post-10.452174/

Last edited:
If they are single combed then they are Silver Penciled Cochins. Which would extremely uncommon from a hatchery. Let them grow a bit and post new pics. I bet they are Brahmas
Almost a week later...took some more pics of the chipmunk chicks and also of the RIR to show the difference in combs and feathering. The more defined, smaller chipmunk has less feathering on legs and wings and a smaller comb than the other chipmunk. But her comb is still larger than the RIR's comb and some of the black cochins' combs are even less visible. The less defined chipmunk is our largest chick and has the largest comb.

Attachments

• 20200601_140336.jpg
    20200601_140336.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200601_140422.jpg
    20200601_140422.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200601_142111.jpg
    20200601_142111.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200601_142149.jpg
    20200601_142149.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 12
Almost a week later...took some more pics of the chipmunk chicks and also of the RIR to show the difference in combs and feathering. The more defined, smaller chipmunk has less feathering on legs and wings and a smaller comb than the other chipmunk. But her comb is still larger than the RIR's comb and some of the black cochins' combs are even less visible. The less defined chipmunk is our largest chick and has the largest comb.

Look like pea combs to me, single combs would be much thinner and more defined points. Update in another week or so.

Back
Top Bottom