1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam + Large Fowl?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckcluckgirl, Nov 19, 2012.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I was wondering if it is okay to cross a bantam rooster with a large fowl hen. Would the eggs hatch successfully, or would they not even hatch?

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I asked this question recently when my serama laid 9 eggs and decided to brood them while I was on vacation. The answer from everyone was that sure, a lf rooster could fertilize her eggs and they would hatch just fine. Although the baby might be interesting. She ended up not staying on them and when I checked, none had started developing. Probably because they were pullet eggs.

3. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    So the egg would be fertilized, but it wouldn't hatch right?

4. midwest

midwest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Missouri
    Yes they can cross and yes the eggs can hatch.

5. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked a question recently that if a serama could mate with a silkie and a man told me that a serama could mate with a buff orpington hen and hatch an egg succesfully! Crazy isn't it!?

6. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    So it's fine to cross a bantam Cochin rooster with a large fowl hen, and the eggs will still hatch normally?

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes! LOL Its fine to cross a large breed hen with a small breed rooster of any kind! The fertility may not be as high if the little guy can't quite reach the big girl but they will hatch just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by