Bantam of some kind.

a 3 are phoenix.
top male mix of colors
middle white pullet
bottom silver duckwing pullet

Standard phoenix are tall lanky birds, but not heavy. generally the same size as any other standard height wise, bantams on the other hand, top out at about 12 inches tall on roos, 10 on hens, and usually only a 1.5 lbs or so on weight , good ones less. Slate blue legs are a must, 8 tail feathers per side minimum, nice erect single comb, floppy ones are a disqualification.

Hope that helps a bit

They are about 4 months old and YES, I am delighted that he looks loke a roo. I hope these 3 will be a good 4-H project for my daughter. Dove is her favorite.

If she wants to let them hatch a clutch do I need to match up specific colors or can all Phoenixes mate?

all can mate together, you'll just end up with more like that roo. He doesnt appear to be a true color (duckwing mix of sorts).
The whites are genetically a silver duckwing, they just come out white. There is no true white in phoenix. Therefore, you can breed silvers and whites together and the offspring will be one or the other, with no color mixing. Same can be done with gold duck wing and bb red. All others will give mixed colors if crossed that unless you are following a genetic color breeding regiment, will not ever make a true color.
I'd try to find a white or silver cockerel to breed to those two pullets and you'll be able to use both girls to one roo in one pen.

For futhure quick sexing of them. Phoenix hens will feather up much quicker than cockerels. Look how long those twos tails are compared to the cockerel. You can tell this at about 4 weeks. If they have a 2-4 inch tail then, they are going to be female, short tails at the same age are always male.
Also, those pullets combs are full grown at this point, only males get any size comb to them, or wattle for that matter.

Last edited:
Thank you, Aubrey. I don't think I'll let Velvet become a daddy. I don't want to make any more mutts on purpose. He is a snuggle bug and I love him dearly. I will keep my eyes open for a silver or white boyfriend for the girls. Maybe that can be another project, hatching some silver phoenix eggs.

I can't seem to get a good pic of the 2 bigger girls. Here's one behind Dove:

64313_dsc08525.jpg

Is she a Phoenix, too? SHe has reddish feathers around her neck.

Back
Top Bottom