bantam or standard?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bethandjoeync, May 28, 2010.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I bought a total of 12 bantams from TSC during chick days and only 6 are actually smaller than my cackle hatchery order. the houdans that I got from tsc turns out they are the same size as all the other standards I have. the silkie I got for tsc is starting to look more standard than the others that are bantams. what do you think?

here is snuggles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (next to my black cochin bantam)

here are my houdans next to BR, BJG, BO, and WLH:
    [​IMG]

I think I need to educate the manager at TSC about bantams. the second batch that I got, I purposely got small peanut babies, and those are the actual bantams. I think they may have thought the others were bantams because they were a little smaller than the reds and the cornish x chicks...so maybe they thought they were just bantams. who knows, but I am going to let him know. wonder if they would hire me next chick days, to help out and educate people on what they are getting? maybe working around the chickies will make me not want to bring all of them home....doubt it, but there's always hope

2. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Silkies are technically a true bantam breed, but I believe in the US they are usually a little bit bigger than most banty breeds, in between bantam and standard sizes, and there are larger varieties in Europe.

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    ok well that would explain it. thanx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by