Bantam Owners: Do you let your bantys go out in the cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BJ, Nov 24, 2007.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I have D'Uccles. I have been making them stay inside in weather below 40 degrees. They wan't to come out something aweful! I feel sorry for them but I keep telling myself it is for their own good. Do any bantam owners let their birds go out in the cold? I need some advice. I just want mine to be happy and healthy. (We keep the coop no cooler than 40 degrees at night.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have an assortment of banties I am babysitting for Haleyluna (another member here)...........they are in with my standard hens/roo ...........all have access to henhouse and are free to go where they please inside the run.so far.our nights are now at 25* and they are fine........I do put hay in henhouse ,and straw. I don't use a heat lamp either.....

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yup...mine go outside in the colder weather. I have Banty Cochin Frizzles. We have had nights in the 20's as well. They seem to be doing just fine. When they get cold, they go back inside....for a snuggle in the straw.

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I open the door in the morning and if they choose to go out they get to go out. [​IMG]

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Over the years, I've had many different types of bantams. Like the last poster, open the door and they will decide. I only let mine out around 4PM because of hawks. They have gotten 2 already plus a bunch of my helmit pigeons. I think they are migrating through.

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 16 hens right now (15 standard 1 little banty ) and my roo is a banty- they all live together in the same coop I have looked in at night to check on them when the weather has been really cold and I noticed that instead of using the perches they all huddle up together and the banties are in the middle of this big feather pile. In the morning I open the door and if anyone wants out they go out and when they are done playing in the snow they run back inside. My little banties seem to be doing fine with the snow so I guess as long as they have a place to go to get out of it I figure they will be fine.

Julie

7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    egh, what breed are they?

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I can't vouch for other breeds but the mille fleurs I know do everything the big birds do. They go outside with the rest. This will be their 2nd Mich winter. These birds are free ranged and have the access to the outdoors and the barn where their coop is. Infact the mille's fly and can get up into the hayloft if they wanted to. I find when the weather gets really cold or nasty the birds choose to just hang out in the barn.

9. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    My peeps free range all day I have silkies, a bantie cochin, 2 d'uccles, and 3 OE mixes that come and go out of their house at will. Iowa winters are cold and windy which really makes it cold:eek: They eat a ton more in winter but that helps keep them warm.

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I think those are Old English Game Bantams, the roo looks like he's been dubbed.

I would let out those bantams, as mine free range all the time (not the silkies). The thing you have to watch for with those single comb breeds is frostbite. That's where the OE have it good- males have their combs cut off and females *shouldn't* develope large enough combs to have a problem. I know our undubbed OEGB are having a heck of a time with the cold, but our EE's are fine b/c of that nice tight little pea comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by