Bantam Partridge Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamabevens, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mamabevens

mamabevens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi, we have a partridge cochin that is 5 weeks old. I was wondering when it would start to developing its "rooster" colors. So far it is the brown and black barring all over with lacing on the breast/ neck area. It is a real sweetie so we are hoping it will be a pullet.
    Thanks

2. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] ,
    Do you have any pictures? I have 6 chicks that are two weeks old and one chicks comb is already showing, so we think it's a rooster. Cochins are slow to feather out/mature. I'm sure if you had pictures to show, there would be someone on the BYC more qualified than I to help answer your question. Plus we all [​IMG] to see pictures!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know anything about partridge cochin coloring, but my blue cochins' combs developed very quickly on the males. I could tell the males from the females at 3 weeks old. The males were definitely pink by 3 weeks.

4. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    Cocopuff, that's its name, comb just got pink this week, its not even completely pink, and it just has pink spots where its wattles would be. I am being optimistic, but who knows. I will post pictures in the morning so I can be as up to date as possible. They seem to grow over night.

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Our boy was very red at 3 weeks. He is definitley a boy now, he is seven weeks. Here are some pictures of our two bantams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    on partridge you should be able to tell as soon as the secondaries are growing.

7. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    Well, I guess I don't need to figure out my new camera program. Little Coco Puff crowed this morning. So we call him Puff Daddy and we are going to find him a new home soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by