Bantam questions from newbie

I don't think BANTAM Cochins are too heavy to fly, although the LF ones are. They are not prone to flying a lot, but they could get over a 4' fence if they wanted to. Silkies can't fly much because of their lack of wing feathers.

Quote:
Yes, I was thinking somewhere between 6-12 but I didn't know the size equivalency.

No, I can't cover the run it is too large like 30 x 90. :-(

But, a poster just said that the cochins don't fly. I have heard the silkies can't fly.

So, I now I need to find out if the barred rock bantams, wyandottes, easter eggers, brahmas, and belgian d'uccle birds are good flyers who fly out.

Do silkies and cochin lay well?

Any other input on these breeds from anyone would be great!!!

Silkies don't fly at all... Er much. You get the odd one out.
lol.png
Well I forgot to mention that cochins will fly around your 4 foot range when younger, because they haven't put on much meat yet. And cochins and silkies both have a medium egg production, according to BYC.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks!

So, I guess I am leaning towards the silkies and cochins......

Interesting that nobody mentioned the easter eggers or barred plymouth rocks. Hmm.

Quote:
None of my bantams fly at all, nor do they have any interest in roosting in trees. My Frizzles don't even like to roost on the roosting bars in the coop! They're great layers, giving 5 eggs a week each, on average.

Back
Top Bottom