Bantam Rhode Island Red Thread

I just bought my first pair yesterday. I am not sure of the breeder's name as my friend has to find the paperwork. She is in the process of moving to her own farm.
I'm so curious as to what everyone is using for coops and breeder pens. Also how do they fair with humidity and extremely cold winters. I am in northern Minnesota. I have an old dairy barn that I have made into my coops. Please show pictures and some measurements as I do 90% of all the building. I am handicapped and I design things for my limitations.
Thank you
Hi Triplell: I converted my sheep stables under the 15' x 50' Shed into chicken runs. One is 20' x 14', and the other is 10' x 14', with two 10' open stalls left. For my brooder, I have an old oblong galvanized horse trough 2'x2'x6', and us a 250watt red grow light. From Walmart I got a cheap battery operated magnetic digital humidity and temperature gauge that I stick on the wall close to the bottom of the trough. I cover the top of the trough with rabbit wire to keep the critters from getting into my chicks.

Last edited:
I bought a dog kennel pen for $299 plus $99 for the top from Tractor Supply. It's 10x10x6. I bought tarps to cover the sides and the gaps around the top for wind proofing and rain proofing. I use a large plastic doghouse I got for free as a nest box plus a 5 gallon bucket on it's side as nester. I can close the girls up at night if I want. I don't have predators other than the occasional falcon.

Hi im thinking of getting some RIR bantams and was wondering if they are good layers? i really dont want another show bird.... i have way too many :)
My RIR bannies are good layers but 1 has gone broody for a month now. No roosters. Probably parentage gave her the broody gene. These birds lay medium size eggs about golfball size only oval. I use 2 for every large egg in recipes. Works great.

My RIR bannies are good layers but 1 has gone broody for a month now. No roosters. Probably parentage gave her the broody gene. These birds lay medium size eggs about golfball size only oval. I use 2 for every large egg in recipes. Works great.
Thanks for the info on their laying qualities. I've read cons and pros on their laying abilities. I can't wait to see how my RIR's are going to do sometime around September 2014.

I've got other breeds of pure strain bannies, some are very broody, and some don't lay at all. I also have mixed bannies that free range, and they're pretty good layers.

This is my Roo, I don't have a pic of his girl yet. What do you think of him?

Back
Top Bottom