1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam RIR egg color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Riven, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    My daughter recently got a pair of bantam RIR for 4H project and we currently have them in with my cochins as we haven't gotten their hutch ready yet, and I've been finding eggs, almost daily. They are a light brown, lighter than my big RIR lays, and have a few dark speckles on them.

My cochins haven't been laying for a while since it got colder here and I was thinking the bantam RIR eggs would be a little darker, but I guess I didn't think about it until today. So... anyone with Bantam RIR's able to tell me what egg color I should be getting/expecting?

Thanks!

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are probably from the RIRs. I was also used to the dark egg color of hatchery type RIRs and I was a bit suprised when I bought some exhibition strain RIR eggs one time and they were a creamy white color too. These were large fowl, but I would think bantams would probably be about the same.

3. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    These are very nice quality little guys, just gorgeous. The little roo still has the big roo attitude though! I'd never seen the "freckles" on the cochin eggs so I was figuring it is probably her laying them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by