1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam RIR's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by millebantam, Feb 3, 2009.

1. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Yesterday I "inherited" a beautiful pair of bantam RIR's. I've never had them before, and they seem to be really good natured. I intend to hatch some of the eggs and keep a few of these. Anything in particular I should know about the breed? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have heard they are realy nice birds, and that the hens lay realy well for a bantam. Enjoy them. I think you are lucky.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Time to play fair and share pics;)

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    fun bird...put two roos in the pot this weekend...small pot...very small pot...good egglayers I have some mutts I like

5. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    We have a flock of 15--13 girls & 2 boys; they'll be a year old in mid-April. Eggs average 1.5 ounces each, with some edging up to almost 1.7 ounces. Feed store birds. I don't know which hatchery.

At one time, in late fall, 6 of the girls were broody. Currently 3 are. One has 4 chicks that started hatching last Friday. The last hatched today, though under the second broody since mama kept kicking the eggs out. (Staggered hatch due to the very, very cold weather & inexperience of the pullet, I think.) Another broody is "due" on Valentine's Day, 6 chicks. The third sits on air.

Another girl hatched out a mixed clutch (3 of our eggs & 3 standard eggs from our neighbor's flock) in mid-December.

Egg production has been down during the cold weather, but the coop is not heated nor do we supply extra light. Still, they provide us with more eggs than we can eat.

They've been a joy, an endless source of entertainment. And do those eggs tastes good! [​IMG]

Although we have a mixed batch of babies coming in a few weeks (BOs, Americaunas & BRs, all bantams), wouldn't hesitate to recommend RIRs.

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a trio from L&S[​IMG] But they are living in OR w/my XDH & his DW and they will send eggs for me to hatch out when it gets a bit warmer. Too cold right now! When our 2nd son gets married, I will see the trio in person, possibly this summer. Also, will be getting more banty RIR eggs to hatch from another line...I love their darker eggs and beautiful warm color! I only have 3 LF RIR hens right now. My first flock was RIR's and I had 8 who laid reliably, especially the day I cleaned the coop, always got the most eggs on that day. I'm converting over to banties and will only keep a few LF, trio's..if I have the strength to do so... LOL;)

7. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    the 2 hens I have are the most friendly birds I ever had. they are in your lap, at your feet, in your face, LOL. I got them from a girl who showed them, and I think they were really used to being handled. I love em........ Let me see if I have a pic on photobucket. if not, I will find one later.
    Ok, here's one with my little nephew taken last summer. these birds are about 10 years old.
    [​IMG]
    and the other hen
    [​IMG]

8. michaelf

michaelf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Cochran,Ga.
    Hello guys and gals . I am looking for some nice bantam reds. A trio or quad. Hatching eggs or chicks. I am picky so I want very nice line or birds. Thanks Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by