Bantam Roo with injured preen gland and tail please help

Mar 22, 2023
I just noticed my bantam rooster Quinn's preen gland looking off. Because of some plucked feathers I like to check the area and I noticed his uropygial gland is blackish and dried, I touched it to see if there was oil coming out, I only came back with a few black specs. I did try to get pics but after the pics I was using a paper towel to see what the black could be, it was a scab. It came off and his gland was exposed. This isn't the only thing but his tail is inflamed and some parts are swollen, I can not get a picture of the exposed gland as it was a struggle to try and put a little bit of iodine on the raw gland. I did get pictures from before and hopefully his feathers don't obsure the area.

Attachments

• DSCF3157.JPG
    DSCF3157.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF3158.JPG
    DSCF3158.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF3159.JPG
    DSCF3159.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 20
You can try applying warm compresses to the area to see if that helps reduce inflammation.
Triple antibiotic ointment on any scabs or wounds.

Is he picking at himself or are the hens? If the hens, then I'd separate him out until he heals, the hens will continue to keep the area inflamed.

When you can, have someone take photos while you hold him, so we can see more clearly.

You can try applying warm compresses to the area to see if that helps reduce inflammation.
Triple antibiotic ointment on any scabs or wounds.

Is he picking at himself or are the hens? If the hens, then I'd separate him out until he heals, the hens will continue to keep the area inflamed.

When you can, have someone take photos while you hold him, so we can see more clearly.
Thank you for the comment, I will try the compress and take him out so the hens don't get at him. I have caught one of the Faverolles picking both him and his brother Harley. Also it looks like Haley has an inflamed tail end so I may take him out too. the photos were done by my mom with me holding Quinn, my mom isn't here right now to help and Quinn's tail was irritated by my fiddling and moving of the feathers for pictures and some iodine. I will try the triple anti-biotic, I didn't use it this time because we only have the pain relief kind that was in our medicine cabinet, he's a bantam so I figured that even a tiny bit of lidocaine could hurt him. I may try later to get better pics, I just don't want to stress him out too much. I have a mini coop I can put both in while they are still in contact with their girls, I don't want the hens to attack them like the other flock tries to through the chicken wire separating them.

Thank you for the comment, I will try the compress and take him out so the hens don't get at him. I have caught one of the Faverolles picking both him and his brother Harley. Also it looks like Haley has an inflamed tail end so I may take him out too. the photos were done by my mom with me holding Quinn, my mom isn't here right now to help and Quinn's tail was irritated by my fiddling and moving of the feathers for pictures and some iodine. I will try the triple anti-biotic, I didn't use it this time because we only have the pain relief kind that was in our medicine cabinet, he's a bantam so I figured that even a tiny bit of lidocaine could hurt him. I may try later to get better pics, I just don't want to stress him out too much. I have a mini coop I can put both in while they are still in contact with their girls, I don't want the hens to attack them like the other flock tries to through the chicken wire separating them.
Good news, Quinn is healing tail is still a tiny bit swollen but his preen gland is working and healed.

Back
Top Bottom