advice needed- warning graphic pic's

nurselisa13

Chirping
May 16, 2021
today I lost a hen to a fox and another hen was also attacked. These are pictures of my surviving longhorn. I think her "tail end" is broken based on the wound and tail is crooked, there is an odd thing hanging from her- I think it may be her preening gland- it's attached far away from where it would come out of her skin if she had skin but if I lift it up it would reach perfectly. Tonight I soaked her in epsom salts and vinegar, then she's inside in isolation drying w/ water to drink, and I squirted some betadine on wound, trying to avoid the exposed and dangling gland.

What else could I do for her? Can a chicken live w/o their preening gland? would I just snip it off and prepare to stop some bleeding? I don't think I can bring myself to stitch her up plus I think that would increase chance for infection....

thoughts?

this is looking down on chicken at her back, the dangling thing is on husbands index finger, the part that is split is where I think the preening gland would have been under skin and the open area I think is missing it's skin to hold her together if any of that makes sense....so her vent is not shown in the picure since the tail feather are covering it...
ATT00001.jpg

Sorry about your hen.

I don't believe that piece is the oil gland. I don't recall seeing anything like that when processing birds and/or doing a necropsy. Still, I looked it up to be relatively sure. The oil gland is not stringy and more like a bulbous gland, it may look a bit fatty or oily. (This is what I personally recall when doing my own birds). Photos below to help you visualize. The Gland is basically the same in most fowl, while the first one is of a duck, it looks quite similar to what I remember). Photos and links to gland info below.

I'd recheck, I do wonder if the oil gland is still intact. I see what I think may be the tiny nub for the gland, but perhaps it's a broken feather shaft? (Circled in your photo below).

Now. As to what that piece of flesh is. I do not know. If vet care (preferably an Avian Vet or one that has experience with Poultry) is an option, that would be a good idea.

If not, then proceed as you have been doing. Clean/flush wounds with saline, Povidone Iodine, Chlorhexidine, etc. Trim feathers from around the wound to help it stay cleaner. Triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds.
Don't stitch. You are correct, you risk sealing in bacteria. It will be a slow process, but the wound will heal from the inside out.

For the hanging bit. I still don't know what it is. Hopefully @Eggcessive or @coach723 can chime in with thoughts.

Get her through shock. Electrolytes or sugar water for a boost. Once drinking, offer food.

If you have an antibiotic on hand, it may be a good idea to get that started.

Hopefully she'll heal up just fine. Chickens can often recover from horrendous wounds.

1713583795662.jpeg

https://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ASC/ASC210/ASC210.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-uropygial-B-C-D-and-after-its_fig1_332062031
1713583361954.png

1713583152234.png

I can’t say what the the hanging thing is, but agree that it is not the preen gland. I would mix up some saline in a spray bottle to use. Saline is 1/2 tsp table salt in a 8 ounce cup of water. Just pick one thing to use on the wound, such as the Hibiclens chlorhexidene, or Betadine, and after a day or two switch to the milder saline. Apply plain Neosporin to the wound until it heals. Let us know how she heals.

You've gotten excellent advice so far. I agree, I don't thing the long bit of flesh is the preen gland either. What @Wyorp Rock circled could be it. It may not be obvious until some healing has happened.
Best of luck with her, hope she heals up fine and recovers fully.
Even if the preen gland was lost, she would be fine. Feather condition might be affected, but lets wait and see how things are looking after some time has passed.

thank you all, and I was wondering if she had to have a preen gland. She was out and about today, will see how she's doin in am....

Back
Top Bottom