Chicken Straining to Poop (Warning: Graphic Pics)

Calbear637

Chirping
Nov 28, 2020
Hi All

I recently bought a creamy legbar pullet (2-3 month old) that unfortunately the seller did not take care of very well as it was missing tail feathers, had a bit of a prolapsed vent, and vent gleet when I received her. I’ve been treating the chicken with ACV water, probiotics and yogurt, epsom salt baths, anti fungal cream, frequent warm water vent flushes and the condition has improved significantly. The only problem left is that the chicken is still straining to poop. The consistency of the poop is much better now as it is not as pasty, the smell of the vent gleet is just about gone, the prolapsed vent has subsided, but the chicken still has a hard time getting her poop out where a large bulb at the vent area is prominent as she poops (see pics). It takes several attempts with much strain to get her poop out. Fortunately she isn’t laying yet but I want to make sure I’ve done all I can to help her out especially before she starts to lay as we may have a bigger problem then. Any advice or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 52
You can give her apple sauce to eat, it acts as a mild laxative in chickens. Give it time to work.
If the apple sauce doesnt get things moving, give her Epsom Salt to drink. Dosage is 1 teaspoon Epsom Salt mixed in 1 fluid ounce of water.

Back
Top Bottom