Warning: graphic photo. Prolapse- Is there ANY chance of recovery?

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
My 2 yr old hen has a severe prolapse beginning 3 days ago. Bowel and vent were deep purple yesterday and today areas of black. Her bowel is dying. Shes awake, responds when I call her (Momma). Ate last night- wet food, but refuses today. She has not laid yet this year, no egg. She’s unable to poop but urates are oozing. I treated with epsom soaks, kept area moist with vaseline and attempted to reinsert but to no use.
I know survival is unlikely but if there’s any chance I want to try. I don’t want her suffering. please, be kind- this is a pet. thx BYC

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
My 2 yr old hen has a severe prolapse beginning 3 days ago. Bowel and vent were deep purple yesterday and today areas of black. Her bowel is dying. Shes awake, responds when I call her (Momma). Ate last night- wet food, but refuses today. She has not laid yet this year, no egg. She’s unable to poop but urates are oozing. I treated with epsom soaks, kept area moist with vaseline and attempted to reinsert but to no use.
I know survival is unlikely but if there’s any chance I want to try. I don’t want her suffering. please, be kind- this is a pet. thx BYC
It needs to be moistened with plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment, otherwise tissues will dry out, & die.

It needs to be moistened with plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment, otherwise tissues will dry out, & die.
I have done that with vaseline but the swelling is so severe I think it’s restricted blood flow. The area isn’t dry but I see how it appears that way in the picture.

Can you give her some calcium or Tums right into her beak to swallow? That may help the prolapse. I would soak her in warm water with salt dissolved 2 tsp per quart, or Epsom salts for about 15 minutes, as long as she is not too weak. Try to feel for a stuck egg. Then dry her with a warm dry towel. Any kind of oil or ointment can be used to keep the prolapse from drying out. Honey or sugar/water in a paste are good as well. I hope that you can save her.

Can you give her some calcium or Tums right into her beak to swallow? That may help the prolapse. I would soak her in warm water with salt dissolved 2 tsp per quart, or Epsom salts for about 15 minutes, as long as she is not too weak. Try to feel for a stuck egg. Then dry her with a warm dry towel. Any kind of oil or ointment can be used to keep the prolapse from drying out. Honey or sugar/water in a paste are good as well. I hope that you can save her.
I have cal citrate last 3 nights.
Will preparation H further reduce blood flow the the compromised tissue at this point? The entire inferior portion looks necrotic but is still soft and warm.

I would just use a mild oil or honey to keep it moist. It almost sounds like she has a blockage of an egg or lash egg that is preventing her from pooping. This is pretty far along, so I wonder if she can be saved. Is a vet possible? Is she eating or drinking at this point? Is she in pain? Usually prolapse tip issue doesn’t look dark like this unless it has dried out. I am so sorry that she could die from this.

I would just use a mild oil or honey to keep it moist. It almost sounds like she has a blockage of an egg or lash egg that is preventing her from pooping. This is pretty far along, so I wonder if she can be saved. Is a vet possible? Is she eating or drinking at this point? Is she in pain? Usually prolapse tip issue doesn’t look dark like this unless it has dried out. I am so sorry that she could die from this.
no avian vets. She ate scrambled egg but not drinking. I agree it’s advanced. Her comb is now dusky and she’s stressed. i’m going to do her a kindness as much as I hate to. Thx for your kind words. I appreciate the reality check.

update on Big Momma. She accepted a lot of water yesterday then pecked at some wet food. 7pm she ate/ drank more and perked up. stool grass green and pencil lead shape but she appears better. I gave this antibiotic in water (1/2 mL -she’s 11 lbs)

This AM she ate/drank. Still very swollen prolapse. I hear bowel sounds from 2 ft away after she ate. Somethings either moving, or — well, lets see. Today will be telling. Come on, sweet Momma!
IMG_4617.jpeg

i’m

Back
Top Bottom