Will Nystatin be harmful to chickens without vent gleet?

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

I am currently dealing with a few issues with chickens and have lost space to keep a bird that has vent gleet. She is getting in better spirits with the anti-fungal cream, but I have Medtatin/Nystatin coming in a couple of days to mix in the food or water. I do have a rooster.

Would it harm the chickens that don't have vent gleet? It is just a medicine to get rid of candida, so I don't know if that would really do any harm, but just asking if anyone else has experience with this medicine.

Thanks!
Jennifer

No, it won't harm the others. But it's expensive to treat a whole flock when just one has the issue.

Also, while Medistatin is recommended to treat gleet, there are alternatives that are a fraction of the cost and work as well, if not better. Copper sulfate in the water can treat it, and Epsom salts can also treat it. For serious cases, I recommend the Epsom salts three- day flush.

No, it won't harm the others. But it's expensive to treat a whole flock when just one has the issue.

Also, while Medistatin is recommended to treat gleet, there are alternatives that are a fraction of the cost and work as well, if not better. Copper sulfate in the water can treat it, and Epsom salts can also treat it. For serious cases, I recommend the Epsom salts three- day flush.
Thank you. The medicine is already paid for and shipped. so it's too late. Is the copper sulfate the same as acidified copper sulfate?

You will be making a stock solution, not using the crystals right out of the bag.

To make the stock solution, add one-fourth cup ACV and one-half cup copper sulfate crystals to one quart of water. Mix until all crystals are dissolved.

Then from this stock solution, add one and one-half teaspoons to one-half gallon of water. This you will give the chickens to drink.

Never use copper sulfate crystals right out of the bag. This stuff is dangerous until it is neutralized in water. Handle the crystals carefully, don't breathe in the dust, and never expose your chickens to the dry crystals. Copper sulfate is perfectly safe, however, once it is in solution.

You will be making a stock solution, not using the crystals right out of the bag.

To make the stock solution, add one-fourth cup ACV and one-half cup copper sulfate crystals to one quart of water. Mix until all crystals are dissolved.

Then from this stock solution, add one and one-half teaspoons to one-half gallon of water. This you will give the chickens to drink.

Never use copper sulfate crystals right out of the bag. This stuff is dangerous until it is neutralized in water. Handle the crystals carefully, don't breathe in the dust, and never expose your chickens to the dry crystals. Copper sulfate is perfectly safe, however, once it is in solution.
Thank you, I will pass along the info

Back
Top Bottom