Bantam rooster can't handle the cold?

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
My poor serama rooster, Jalapeño, just isn't adjusting to the cooler weather very well.

It's about 55 degrees here in TN and the wind is blowing quite hard. I found this little guy just puffed up shivering in the middle of the run. He has a nice warm coop to go into.

I brought him inside yesterday because his comb was turning purple and I was concerned. After about 15 minutes his comb turned red again and he was fine. Well today this is what he looks like. He was shivering when I picked him up.

I have silkies and other seramas and they are fine, no one seems cold or anything. No one else's combs are purple either.

His poops are normal and he's eating, drinking, acting fine other than he's acting really cold.
20211026_142718.jpg
20211026_142720.jpg

I have never had Seramas, but others have said that they must have supplemental heat when it gets cold.
I posted that very question in a Facebook group and everyone said that the ones we are able to get here in TN should be fine🤷‍ That it's the teeny tiny ones that can't handle the cold. My other seramas are fine, I just know this little guy is not doing well.😔

You said you had a warm coop? Perhaps you should lock him up in there. He might get frostbite where it's turning purple. (Though I don't think one could get frostbite at 55°.... 🤔) Are you sure it's the cold, and nothing else? Is there any signs of anything wrong health wise with him?

You said you had a warm coop? Perhaps you should lock him up in there. He might get frostbite where it's turning purple. (Though I don't think one could get frostbite at 55°.... 🤔) Are you sure it's the cold, and nothing else? Is there any signs of anything wrong health wise with him?
Yes he has a great draft free coop to go into and I've had him awhile so he knows where to go🤷‍ I've monitored his poops and they are normal. He's a healthy weight, no worms or respiratory issues. As soon as I bring him in for about 20 minutes his comb turns back red. I'm at a complete loss! He's about 5 months old.

I believe at his previous home he was kept inside a storage building in a cage with a hen or 2. Could it be that he's just not used to being outside in the weather?

My other seramas are out living their best lives. Lol. They came from the same previous owner.

I really think its the wind that's bothering him, it has been in the 40's here and he was fine, but this week the wind has been terrible.

Yes he has a great draft free coop to go into and I've had him awhile so he knows where to go🤷‍ I've monitored his poops and they are normal. He's a healthy weight, no worms or respiratory issues. As soon as I bring him in for about 20 minutes his comb turns back red. I'm at a complete loss! He's about 5 months old.

I believe at his previous home he was kept inside a storage building in a cage with a hen or 2. Could it be that he's just not used to being outside in the weather?

My other seramas are out living their best lives. Lol. They came from the same previous owner.
I really think its the wind that's bothering him, it has been in the 40's here and he was fine, but this week the wind has been terrible.
Perhaps he just needs to be locked up in the coop. For whatever reasons, I've seen roosters standing outside on the coldest days of the year, refusing to go inside. Just coop him up during the cold days, and he'll probably be fine. ;)

Perhaps he just needs to be locked up in the coop. For whatever reasons, I've seen roosters standing outside on the coldest days of the year, refusing to go inside. Just coop him up during the cold days, and he'll probably be fine. ;)
Ok, I'll try that! He's is very stubborn. Lol. It's not really an option for him to be a house chicken.😂

I think I'm going to keep him in my garage for a few days to try to acclimate him to the weather. It's stays pretty cool in there but about 10 degrees warmer than outside. I'm also going to go ahead and treat him with Corid because he's staying pretty puffed up.

Back
Top Bottom