Bantam roosters - noise level?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pequena Bandada, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Silly question, I'm sure... but are bantam roosters as loud as standard size roosters? I'm about to place an order on My Pet Chicken and am thinking about ordering straight run Silkie and "assorted non feather leg" bantams. I don't mind having roosters, and we live on 5 acres so noise isn't a huge concern, but I don't want to irritate my neighbors, who all work from home.

So for those of you in the know... does size matter in a a rooster? Or is a rooster a rooster, with all the good and not-so-good traits?

Thanks!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, bantams tend to be higher pitched than standard size and slightly less loud due to lesser lung capacity. Some of them however, try to make up for their lack of volume with frequency of crows. It varies quite a bit by breed and even by individual. I say try it out.

3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So i had some bantam roo's and my mother in law was camping out in the back yard and of course that was the morning my little roo decided to crow....let me tell you i went to a place to pick up some hens and he had a HUGE roo and my little guy crowed more...and LOUDER than his big guy he also said his loudest roo was his bantie like mine and his polish roo...

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    My two cochins are as loud or louder than the big roos. I had the same mind set, ok small roo less crowing. Wrong! [​IMG]

5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    my bantams won't shut up! [​IMG]

6. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    I havent made the final cut's for the show season yet so right now I have 40 Old English Game Bantam cockerels on my property.I honestly cant hear them inside the house.So I really dont think a couple would ever be noticed.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:exactly. [​IMG] I've got a little OEGB and he is a riot. Not as loud as a standard, but like emys said, they sure do love to crow!!! But we just love him any way. He is my house rooster for the most part! [​IMG] But when I think its safe for him to go out in the afternoon, he goes out with the girls!

8. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Are oeg hens noiser than large chickens
    cheers Phil

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  9. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Anybody please