Bantam Roosting Bar Diameter???

Trishc100

Chirping
May 13, 2022
Hi All!
I’m rehabbing a hand me down chicken coop to house (6 max) assorted Bantams. What diameter of roosting bar do they need? The old bars were 2” x 4” laying on the wide side. Would Bantams prefer the narrower 2” side for their smaller feet? Any other areas of the coop I should try to modify to make my Banties happy?

Attachments

• IMG_9195.jpeg
    IMG_9195.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9235.jpeg
    IMG_9235.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9234.jpeg
    IMG_9234.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 9
Nests should be lower than roosts, and you don't need 6 nests for 6 birds.
I'd guess that they may sleep, and poop, in nests.

Roosts should be fairly low in a coop with such a small foot print.
Deep bedding on the floor won't keep them from flying into a wall on descent.

Thank you both for your input! Agreed - 6 nest boxes is overkill but we didn’t design this coop 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s a hand me down so to speak. It does have a small footprint so I think the roosts will have to stay low & unfortunately level with the nest boxes but I can make a board to block the nest boxes off. I may make a door to block off the bottom three to use as storage.

Thank you both for your input! Agreed - 6 nest boxes is overkill but we didn’t design this coop 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s a hand me down so to speak. It does have a small footprint so I think the roosts will have to stay low & unfortunately level with the nest boxes but I can make a board to block the nest boxes off. I may make a door to block off the bottom three to use as storage.
But I still would love to hear from some bantam owners on the roosting bar diameter. Banties will be half the size of a regular chicken. I understand they sleep on their feet and need adequate width to the bar for this. Bantams are smaller though and a 4” bar seems like their booties won’t hang off, leading to a constantly dirty bar. Am I right on this?

Back
Top Bottom